Funny window handles

Geranium

We need to replace our window handles but are looking for the old style ones with the bar that runs the whole verticle length of the window and turning the handle in the middle either puts the bar into place at top and bottom of the frame or releases it.

The trouble is I can't find such a thing at Mr Bricolage nor on the Leroy Merlin or Castorma websites.  Does anyone know what these are called and have they been spotted anywhere?

Now whether anyone has any bright ideas as to how to remove the old broken ones that have been there for a couple of hundred years is another question.  Yep, I've put the paint stripper on...

Same as mine.

They are in fact quite simple. In the middle of the window, on the opening edge, opposite where the handle goes in to the window (the handles are normally retained by two woodscrews through the escutcheon plate. Release these two screws and the handle comes out. You will then see that it is just like a door handle; square section mild steel bar.

If you then look on the edge of the window moulding (the bit that is lost to view when closed) you will see one or two metal plates, recessed into the moulding.

Removing this/these should provide access to the internal workings.

All they in fact are, are one or two bell cranks (i.e. small levers sitting at circa 90 degrees to the two rods, that are inserted into the window, top and bottom).

Next remove the cover plates (if any) top and bottom of the window and diagnose the problem.

It will usually be with the bell crank/s.

You can generally find these things in Brocantes and Vide Greniers, but finding 2 the same is tricky.

Lapere stock them as noted above, but be careful as there are 2 types, one is a working version as per the original design, the other is simply an ornament, to fit no doubt to a new window to make it look old - bizarre !