The site to check builders credentials

caz

Ask them for their ID card from the Chambre de Metiers

Forget the Siret No., look at the APE No., this will tell you the activity for which they are registered

Ask to see their work and for references, any good professional will be happy to comply

I do all of this and I yet have to find a client who takes up my offer, thay are lucky because I do high quality work but they might as well be employing a monkey and they would not know until it was too late

Check documentation, insurances and check previous work, don't bother visiting a site to see if they have a siret number as, if they are genuine they should carry all the paperwork and want you to check previous work and clients

Le Plombier

quote user="Le Plombier"

Ask them for their ID card from the Chambre de Metiers

Good idea - it's not always a  card these days - often just a sheet of paper stamped by the CDM

Forget the Siret No., look at the APE No., this will tell you the activity for which they are registered

Well not quite .......... The Code APE will only tell you the "Principal Activity" and not any seconadary activities that they are registered for, but nevertheless is a good start.  Many companies such as mine who employ people and legally trade as Entreprise Générale du Bâtiment are also registered and insured for many other trades. The way to check this is to see their insurance details and  either an extract KBIS or the CDM details. Therefore don't discount the SIRET number as one or two of the siret check websites do list secondary actvities.

Ask to see their work and for references, any good professional will be happy to comply.

Good sound advice - the best way  to get your artisan. Just make sure the references given are not family and friends!

I do all of this and I yet have to find a client who takes up my offer, thay are lucky because I do high quality work but they might as well be employing a monkey and they would not know until it was too late

Of course we only have your word for that  [:D]

Check documentation, insurances and check previous work, don't bother visiting a site to see if they have a siret number as, if they are genuine they should carry all the paperwork and want you to check previous work and clients

I agree to a point but the siret check websites are a good first port of call and should not be discounted as a no go area.

http://www.punchardrenovation.com