Rigid wire - max current/wattage

thunderhorse

[quote user="powerdesal"]Trees is correct, disjoncteurs for sockets in 2.5 mm sqr are 25A, fuses for sockets in 2.5 mm sqr are 20A

ref: Depannages et renovations electriques by Gallauziaux and Fedullo, pages 57 and 59
[/quote]

hi ok   .. my book says         16amp fuse or 20 amp disjoncteur for 2.5 mm

for                                        20amp fuse or 25 amp disjoncteur for 4  mm

just for info

dave

[quote user="thunderhorse"]So after 2 pages of thread we're talking about 4.5 kw max. Yes?
[/quote]

hi ok

must be .... V/I=R  220 v X 20 amps =4400 watts

going back to the 32 amp fuse posting ......... is not that a UK ringmain fuse ???

Dave

Dave (et al),

The copy of "Depannages et renovations electriques by Gallauziaux and Fedullo, pages 57 and 59"  definitely says what I said above, but.....

"L'Installation Electrique - Comme un Pro" also by Gallauziaux and Fedullo states as I said originally -  20A disjoncteur for a 2.5mm socket circuit it also states a 16A fuse for same, as you say above.

Therefore a conflict between two reference books by the same authors.

I usually use the L'Installation Electrique reference but today was the first time that I read my copy of Depannages et renovations electriques, as the Comme un Pro book is in France. I then remembered an English translation on a memory stick that I found a few minutes ago.

So, take your pick. 4.5kw still stands as far as I can see.

edit. W = V x I x Cos phi so if you take volts as nominal 220 and pf as 1 then 4400W is right, I happen to measure 228 v so its 4560W,

4.5 kw seems a good limit.

Many thanks, guys. The rear of the house currently (no pun intended - hell, why not?) is supplied by two major cables: One supplies the bathroom only, the other supplies a variety of sockets, lights and switches to the rest of the rear.

I was considering simply extending the cables as part of the grenier renovation, or alternatively dividing up the looms and running two more gaines to the rear from a secondary tableau. Think I'll go with the latter - it'll give me more flexibility in the future.

Many thanks again. [:D]