Fitting a UK sourced electric towel heater ?

joidevie

Hi.. I'm considering buying a chrome 'curved' style ladder miltiple bar electric towel heater from the UK to fit in a shower room in France. It is described as high quality and is made in Turkey. The white ones (less expensive ones) I've seen in France look rather poorly made, and any I've seen in chrome are very expensive.

The spec reads "Glycol filled with an electric element fitted". Conforms to EN 442. The picture shows no form of 'control switch' or thermostat and the product description reads "simply wires into your electric system".

My question is, is it likely to have any sort of switchable part (either thermostatis or on/off that will conform to French safety) , and if not, am I opening a can of worms with fitting some kind of switch/thermostat in a bathroom which will conform to French standards?

Many thanks

I don't want to get into another "CE-marking" debate, because I have said it all already, but; To be legal for installation in France, most electrical equipment must be NF (or BS in the UK, or DIN in Germany or even UL in the States) marked.

CE/EN marking is a confirmation that the device conforms to the standard laid down in the certification (which must accompany the device, or be available from the distributor), of those standards listed in the certification - EN442 for example. As far as I can tell, EN442 is a heat-output, not electrical safety standard.

Yes, an EN/CE marked device is "fit for purpose", but not necessarily "legal" to use.

[quote user="joidevie"] It is described as high quality and is made in Turkey.

Rather a contradiction in terms I think!

The white ones (less expensive ones) I've seen in France look rather poorly made,

Interesting, from what viewpoint?

and any I've seen in chrome are very expensive.

With the same construction underneath of course!

If you want a chrome one buy one here ![/quote]

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]I don't want to get into another "CE-marking" debate, because I have said it all already, but; To be legal for installation in France, most electrical equipment must be NF (or BS in the UK, or DIN in Germany or even UL in the States) marked.

Yes, an EN/CE marked device is "fit for purpose", but not necessarily "legal" to use.

[/quote]

Interestingly, I was looking at electric hobs in IKEA both in the UK and France as some of the are the same model numbers and differ in price between the two countries - one model might be cheaper in one country and another cheaper in the other.

In order to see the markings it was a case of lying on the floor and pulling out each one on its drawer from the display housing. On none of those in France did I see the NF mark, nor a BS mark in UK - just the CE mark.

Paul