Leaking shower! Tile Paint Needed

edwierdo

Hi All, for quite a while now a leaking shower has plagued our house in the Charente. After copius amounts of searching for leaking joints and pumping silicone into corners I have realised that it is infact the grout between the tiles which is pourous!

Does anyone know of a product similar to Ronseal tile paint, preferably of the clear variety that could be painted over all the tiles and grout?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ed 

Showers are a pain in the arse.  I am a building surveyor and used to undertake residential surveys.  So many times I have seen stained ceilings, usually in the kitchen, where the shower sits above.  The most common cause is where the mastic is failing or has not been applied properly.

You need to do a thorough investigation here.  If the water has soaked behind the tiles, it needs to escape and dry out otherwise it is likely that it will to lead to a more sinister problem. 

As thunderhorse mentioned, ideally the tiles need to be removed.  If this wall has been affected, personally I would investigate beneath the shower too, especially if it is timber.

Water is the biggest enemy to buildings in our climate and should always be allowed to dry out thoroughly.  Sealing a damp wall is asking for trouble.

I can empathize with this problem - about 15 years ago when I had two young children + FIL living here we decided our bedroom had room for a small (tiny) shower room (just shower & basin) - we just had it retiled for the third time ! - No matter what you do it seems that eventually grout becomes porous and despite the proper water resistant plaster board etc water seeps to the ceiling below.

We had a problem with the over bath shower too which seems fine at the moment - the plumber filled the bath with water and then ran round a bead of sealer which he left convex instead of 'cutting in'.

My daughter sleeps in the room below, believe me she lets us know if there is damp on the ceiling !!

[quote user="Russethouse"]

My daughter sleeps in the room below, believe me she lets us know if there is damp on the ceiling !!

[/quote]

It is all too common Gay, showers and chimneys are the blight of a home and need constant checking to keep this problem abay.

I have a friend in the tarn[;-)] who had the most wonderful exterior shower hidden around the back of her house.  It was delightful to shower there on a warm day overlooking rolling hills of sunflower.

Now that would bring a bit of excitement to Reading wouldn't it?[:D]

The twin banes of my life - we want to remove our chimney breast at the back of the house, I need the neighbours written permission plus have to have the work inspected. Who owns this house ????

We have already had planning permission declined because the council decided that despite complying with all there recommendations the extension affected the amenity of the house next door (despite the neighbours not objecting)

Welcome to my world, grout and gallows brackets.....[6]

And another thing, when was your planning for an extension refused.  I believe there is a new law out now whereby you no longer need planning permission for residential extensions because the LA's have such a backlog (they need a day in private sector if you ask me).  Anyway, I think that so long as your extension meets a certain criteria, you can just go ahead.

However, I am not 100% on this as I no longer work in residential so perhaps someone else can throw more light.

The fact of the matter is that a fair number of shower trays and cubicles are installed by amateurs..and it shows. Consideration needs to be given not just to what looks nice but what will give prolonged service. Cheap quality materials inevitably lead to nasty jobs. The amount of times I have seen shwer trays just butted up to walls floors hacked to death beneath them etc. A well supported and sealed tray is a prerequisite before tiling is commenced. I prefer to mount trays right back to masonry if possible if working up to studwork then I like to strip plasterboard and install aquapanel sheeting, install shower tray and seal it to the aquapanel (Gunned in decent silicone sealant) before applying a second layer of aquapanel to come up to the level of existing walls if need be. I dont like fitting showers direct to floors particularly, chipboard. I like to ensure that if possible I can counterbatten and install a ply deck beneath the tray.

Full belt and bracers BM!!  You are dead right about the amount of shoddy workmanship out there.  I wish they would mandatorily regulate builders where they would be anwerable to a governing body.

I needed a degree to do the work I do and to give advice. Plumbers who work on boilers need CORGI,  and yet, 'we' let these 'apes' into our home with sledgehamers and expandable foam with no qualifications whatsoever.

Yeah let,s make them all get registered.  That will sort the craftsmen from the apes!! 

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The twin banes of my life - we want to remove our chimney breast at the back of the house, I need the neighbours written permission plus have to have the work inspected. Who owns this house ????

[/quote]

I read it that if RH needs a neighbours written permission, it is because an external flue abuts a neighbours wall.  If the neighbour refuses this then an application to carry out works to the chimney can be made Via PWA.