Gas Fires

Terry

Does any body know of a person in the 47 area who knows about British Log Effect Gas Fires. We brought one down several years ago and it has yet to work properley. We have had several artisans come and look but it would appear that such appliances are unknown in France and they cannot fix it.

Thanks

I'm not in France at the moment but I thought I'd mention a few things that may point you in the right direction.

This type of heater is usually fitted with with various safety devices including flame failure device (FFD) and would normally have also fitted an oxygen depletion device (ODD). These two devices are quite often combined together in one package so to speak.......

The ODD is there to shut off the appliance in the event that the oxygen level in the room falls below a certain level due to the appliance using up the air in the room for the combustion process.

The FFD is self explanatory...........(I hope)

One of the things you can check is that there is sufficient ventilation in the room that it is being used in.

A bit difficult to be more specific without knowing more about the problem.

Agree Steve. We had one back in the UK we ordered from the Ideal HOme Expo some years ago. Beautiful to look at in ornate cast iron basket but output absolutely zilch in terms of heat, in fact we had to use the central heating as well and this was in a small lounge with the door shut. Wood burners far more economic and warmer.

Which area are you in beerdrinker, as I know of a retired Plumbing Heating and Drainage guy who reckons himself to be a bit of an expert in everything.  I could post his details if you like?

• 2 weeks later...
I am sorry tht Steve, Val 2 and jondeau did not like them. The reason we brought one down to France is that we had a lot of success with them in the UK. Enter the room, switch it on and bingo, warmth immediately. We haqve a wood burner in our kitchen and although warm it is messy - as are all types of "real" fires. That is why we liked the Log Effect gas fires. As I said above they are warm and not messy.

We actually liked the fire and that is why we ordered it at the Ideal HOme. Unfortunately there they could not have it working and we really did not know what it would be like heatwise and when it was lit it was a big dissapointment. It looked lovely and you would not have known it was gas unless you got down and looked underneath the basket to the see the copper piping.