Plastic pipes and stone walls

thunderhorse

I've just punched a hole through the exterior stone wall in preparation for a 100mm polyprop waste pipe. The pipe is tough and I can't see why it shouldn't be mortared in, but would it be advisable to somehow pad it and avoid contact with the stone/mortar (or even facilitate removal in case of a fault?)

Cheers

Really depends on the make up of the wall but ideally you dont want anything bearing directly on the pipe so careful choice of location using a tie stone as a lintel may be an idea. Dont be tempted to squeeze pipe into a gap that is too tight its better to have a bit more mortar than a split pipe inside the wall.

[quote user="BIG MAC"] Dont be tempted to squeeze pipe into a gap that is too tight its better to have a bit more mortar than a split pipe inside the wall.[/quote]

I must admit......French soil pipe is an awful lot thinner walled than the English variety.

[quote user="jondeau"]

[quote user="BIG MAC"] Dont be tempted to squeeze pipe into a gap that is too tight its better to have a bit more mortar than a split pipe inside the wall.[/quote]

I must admit......French soil pipe is an awful lot thinner walled than the English variety.

[/quote]

I must admit to putting my full 100 kg on it and couldn't even begin to deform it, but I don't suppose there's any harm in putting some form of bridge over through the wall.

[quote user="jondeau"]

[/quote]

How can you say that when dibble hasn't even told us how big his hole is?? [blink]

Because dear Katie its a failing of  blokes generally! French soil pipe is a more brittle type of plastic in my experience also it seems a lot less UV stable . If a pipe is surrounded by a good bed of mortar the some loads will have the opportunity to pass around it. A point loading from a slighly shifted stone could crack the pipe inside the wall. I didnt spend ten years of my life fitting bogs and not learning a bit about soil pipe..........Oh how I miss it............not!

I used UK 110mm pipe as a sleeve on 100mm French pipe where it passed through a flint wall - perfect fit allowing movement/removal but not insect or rodent access. It was just lucky that I'd kept that short length of 110mm pipe from when whe had our UK house extended in 1990. I knew it would come in useful one day.