INTERNAL POINTING

trevorj

Hi all

I have recently acquired a property with a cave which is almost ready to occupy but needs pointing. The stone used for the arched ceilings throughout is relatively thin limestone/shale type and therefore there is nearly as much pointing to do as the existing stone. I have pointed my fireplace and understand the dry application technique necessary followed by brushing away of surplus. This works fine on vertical surfaces but in the roof area I have some quite deep cavities and most of what I am lifting ends up back on the board. I feel it almost lends itself to pumping/squeezing material in. Has anyone done overhead and learnt any secrets or of any equipment available for an amateur?

How are you trying to get the mix in the joints? Flicked in with a trowel? Scraped in? Have you tried a pair of marigolds (necessary), and shove it in hard by the handful. Great big dollops. Keep a plastic sheet underneath, and re-use the droppings. Messy, yes, but effective.

Usual stone cleaning and brushing off afterwards.

There exsists a tool that I belive you can get from screw fix that is rather like a mastic gun but you fill up the compartment with the mortar and pump it in same principle as before that you leave it to dry of a bit then rub off with soft brush. hope this helps. Oh and wet slightly the gaps with a spray gun this helps it stick.

Hi Dave - thanks for that - this looks like the business. Have you experience of using this? Do you think it is something that could be hired so that I can try it out? I also have the whole of the external of the house (approx 350 sq metres of small random stones) this would be worth the cost if it is the right kit.