bathrooms : taxes

chocccie

[quote user="ErnieY"][blink][:P]

A friend nearby who is trying to sell is in for a massive shock as his house was basically 1 bed + kitchen + lounge but now has second floor in the roof space with 2 more bedrooms and a bathroom and I know for a fact that nothing has been declared to anyone.

[/quote]

It will not be him but the new owners that get the shock unless they are shrewd enough to keep schtuum.

I wasnt [:(] I cracked under temptation at the hôtel des impots when they told me mine would go down as I was still paying for commercial use, true indeed if the previous French owners were as keen to declare their true habitable areas and level of confort as most of the posters on this forum.

They profited by continuing to pay on only 36m2, as did I for the first couple of years but now I await the taxe d'habitation bill for the true 250m2, I was pleased to see that the taxes foncieres were not affected.

'We have knocked two rooms through to make a large kitchen, meaning we now have one less bedroom.....does this mean that our tax will go down?'

I never thought about it, we have a very small house but decided to install a 2nd loo in our downstairs 'cave' while redoing the bathroom.  Seems very unhygenic to have a loo and no basin! 

I wonder if knocking down walls, as we have done, would balance out the extra loo for tax purposes?

I've lost count of the number of houses I turned down that had loos but no handbasin and no way of adding in a handbasin for reasons of space or ease of plumbing.

Put me right off to think everyone would be using the door handle without washing their hands first.

Just a quick side line on Bathrooms / loos and CGT,  if you are selling and have replaced a bathroom, old and tasteless rather than non existant you cannot claim it back as an expense (without a major amount of hastle) our fiscale agent would only allow the new one and referred back to our purchase agreement to see what was there when we bought it. We did manage to get them include after getting a sworn letter from the builder, having had a new fosse septic installed (so we said all the plumbing was new and related to) and bursting into tears in the Notaires office[;-)] but I don't know which of these made them change their minds.