changes in colour of chaux batches /pointing.

david

We are pointing our cottage and adjoining barn ourselves. At the speed I'm progressing this will take many years! I found it relaxing and rewarding until we bought more chaux ( St Astier) , We ensured it was with the same batch number as the sac we had commenced with but the colour does not match with previous pointing.We are not mixing with sand.

Any ideas where we are going wrong? Do the batch numbers change annually perhaps...??  Do we have to buy all the chaux at once...?

Thankyou in advance, David

I suspect that maybe the OP is not actually using pure chaux, but one of the ready mixed derivative products "pret à l'emploi " made by Saint Astier, specifically for pointing/rendering ? I hope I am right otherwise he could have a problem [:)]

Other manufactured products made for pointing that contain Chaux are made by Weber and Broutin and Lafarge ( Parexi) etc.

Thanks everyone  for your comments!!! Obviously my explaination was not clear.

We were advised by a chap who makes a living out of pointing to buy St Astier ( a ready mix specificately for pointing ) and mix with water until consistency of toothpaste. All very easy .Also easy to apply with the 'icing bag 'method.

We are perplexed and frustrated that on buying more, with the same batch no., that the colour is not matching. I was just looking for any suggestions as to why this is the case .I'm trying to save time so can get on with the job when in France at Easter.

Regards, David 

Although it was not a preparitory mix, during the summer my brother and I mixed a batch of sand/lime for pointing, we both worked from the same batch mix and when it dried his work was VERY noticably whiter than mine, reason being, he worked his mix/pointing technique more than I did. Overworking brings the water/lime to the surface, makes it whiter on drying and weakens the morter.  Maybe this is something that you are experiencing?

[quote user="master of none"]Although it was not a preparitory mix, during the summer my brother and I mixed a batch of sand/lime for pointing, we both worked from the same batch mix and when it dried his work was VERY noticably whiter than mine, reason being, he worked his mix/pointing technique more than I did. Overworking brings the water/lime to the surface, makes it whiter on drying and weakens the morter.  Maybe this is something that you are experiencing?[/quote]

Your hired, your brother is Fired [:D]