Copper Pipe

tonyv

I was astounded during my recent visit to my local Brico in St Girons to find the price of copper pipe to be around 5€/m. I'm used to paying around £1/m in the UK. Have I got my facts wrong?

I need about 50m of the stuff, so if I were to buy a load of 15mm pipe next time I visit UK (May), I'd more than save the cost  of taking the trailer over, so that's quite attractive. Can I intermix UK pipe sizes with French ones? What problems am I likely to encounter? Is this false economy?

Grateful for any advice.

[quote user="tonyv"]I was astounded during my recent visit to my local Brico in St Girons to find the price of copper pipe to be around 5€/m. I'm used to paying around £1/m in the UK. Have I got my facts wrong?

I need about 50m of the stuff, so if I were to buy a load of 15mm pipe next time I visit UK (May), I'd more than save the cost  of taking the trailer over, so that's quite attractive. Can I intermix UK pipe sizes with French ones?   No

What problems am I likely to encounter? It will not fit.  You cannot buy 15mm pipe in France.

Is this false economy? No idea about the price of pipe in France but, yes IMHO its a false economy.  If anyone says you can use UK pipe ask them in which country they normally work[Www]

Grateful for any advice.
[/quote]

Without wishing to counter anything that has already been said.........

And purely from a technical point of view, it is possible to use 15mm tube in France, all you need is a supply of  English 15mm x 1/2" male irons. In France you can buy 16mm x 1/2" female irons, these two fittings can be screwed together to give you a 15mm x 16mm adaptor should you need to join onto French pipes.

Pressure is not a problem with English tube..........well, not the ranges we are talking about anyway.

I must admit I have never done it.......but I've often thought about it, and were I still there these days, with a £200 difference for a mere 50 metres of tube I might well be inclined to do so.

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Can you connect UK 15mm to French 14mm using UK 15mm compression fitting but with a French olive on the 14mm side ?[/quote]

No, I wouldn't risk it, but using the same method as before, just swap the French 1/2" FI x 16mm for a 1/2" FI x 14mm and  screw it into an English 1/2" x 15mm male iron.

As a matter of interest.......most English 15mm compression fittings these days are threaded 1/2" bsp and would screw into a female iron French fitting (in case you don't have an English MI handy. But a word of warning, as compression fittings don't have a proper 'shoulder' to butt against FI fitting, getting a perfect seal may be a problem.

[quote user="tonyv"]I was astounded during my recent visit to my local Brico in St Girons to find the price of copper pipe to be around 5€/m. I'm used to paying around £1/m in the UK. Have I got my facts wrong?

[/quote]

Do you have a Brico Despot, sorry Depôt near you?

http://www.bricodepot.fr/calais/node/737

I just checked on their website (for the Calais outlet) and found 14mm copper tube for around €3 per metre

2.5 M is €8.60

5M is €14.90

It might make the price difference a bit more acceptable especially if you can source it locally and use standard French sizes for any futre work you might add on.

[quote user="johnv"]

Mr Invisible here ..

[img]http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/shout.gif[/img] IT'S THE SAME PRICE IN THE UK NOW

[/quote]

Hey John, its pretty standard to be ignored on this forum - you get used to it after a while [:)]

[quote user="johnv"]

Mr Invisible here ..

[img]http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/shout.gif[/img] IT'S THE SAME PRICE IN THE UK NOW

[/quote]

Unfortunately it's not.

Even screwfix are selling 15mm tube at a rate that equals £7.75 for a 5 metre length, considerably less than the 14.90 Euros quoted on here.

Trade prices are even lower.

Thanks, everyone for your advice. No need to shout, Johnv; it seems Wickes ripped you off. Screwfix are indeed selling pipe at £37-26 for 30M.

I take on board Nick's warning re sellers report, but don't regard that as a major problem. I can understand a total electrical failure report, but plumbing is hardly hazardous.

Pressure? well, we certainly don't have much of that here; very similar to the UK, I'd say. The major pressure here is from OH to get the new kitchen installed [:)]

I'd have to offset the extra cost of transitions, but all the same, I'm likely to save £200 or so by buying in the UK; not to be sniffed at.

So, I'm inclined to go for it, but will give it some more thought over the coming weeks. Thanks again.

[quote user="tonyv"]I take on board Nick's warning re sellers report, but don't regard that as a major problem. I can understand a total electrical failure report, but plumbing is hardly hazardous.

[/quote]

I think you are missing my point. If it "fails" a plumbing inspection, a buyer is going to negotiate the price down to match. Nothing to do with safety....

If I wait a little bit longer I should be able to get the sellers to pay me to take their 20  year old houses off their hands when I get my mates to give me devi's to turn old but perfectly serviceable houses into new euroboxes.

Sorry to disagree Nick but I cant see that happening in France, sure some buyers may try but would sellers play ball?

On second thoughts thay may well reduce their price to allow for a new ballon knowing that the house is already with another agent for €30k less!

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

I have surveyed 4 total failure (electrical report) houses in the past week - that lot will cost an average of 10K€ to each seller. Is it worth doing it English?

[/quote]

We just had our 5 bed 3 bath house completely rewired for 4k euros (local french, registered electrician) so not sure where your figure of 10k comes from.  Ok it's taken nearly three years for him to finish but, if that's the going rate, then the delay was worth every cent!

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

But it is already happening - see my earlier post in this thread. Real world, real issues.....

[/quote]

Guilty of not reading your post correctly Nick.

When you say surveyed, do you mean that you are the guy doing the surveying or that you have been asked by the sellers for a devi to do the remedial work?

If it is the latter then I am astounded given the lack of interest shown and money spent by the average French seller to prepare his house for sale. Still they are obedient people, are interested parties perhaps telling them that they must have the work done to secure a sale?

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"][quote user="Nick Trollope"]

But it is already happening - see my earlier post in this thread. Real world, real issues.....

[/quote]

When you say surveyed, do you mean that you are the guy doing the surveying or that you have been asked by the sellers for a devi to do the remedial work?

If it is the latter then I am astounded given the lack of interest shown and money spent by the average French seller to prepare his house for sale. Still they are obedient people, are interested parties perhaps telling them that they must have the work done to secure a sale?

[/quote]

I mean that I have been asked by the Agents (and/or Notaires) to indicate the cost of rectifying the "failures" on the reports. I charge even more for a devis... I am also asked to estimate the cost of failures of the DPE, as I bought myself a thermographic camera. It is a quite useful string to my financial bow in this day and age....

These are, I'm afraid to say, always English-stylee wiring jobs - which is why they ask me. The inspectors system is all computerised and he hasn't got an "English wiring installed" tick box, so they just report it as "unsafe" or "non-authorise materials".

A complete rewire of a medium-sized, occupied property can indeed cost 10K€ to do - and does! As an example, I recently saw an 85K house, where the buyer negotiated a 15K reduction for a rewire.... Wire it the English way and it will happen....