Steel Stairway & Balcony Balustrade

Postie

Well ,after a good few months  being offline we have finally got the puter repaired, moved house & got our internet up & running. I took a week off from house renovating recently to make these steel bits for a friend in Normandy. Because of the irregularity of the stairs & the balcony I could only make about 15% in my workshop the rest had to be made on site. I was quite pleased with the result.

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/Stairsafter2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/Stairsafter1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/Pigeoniereafter1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z110/glentham/Pigeoneireafter2.jpg[/IMG]

Hi Posties,

We have a balcony with wooden corral style bannisters, about 6 or 7 inches thick, and it spoils the view when you sit out with lunch or the like. The Balcony ballustrades with a wooden top rail and about 3/4 horizontal rails, how much would that cost per metre for a straight run? My wife prefers the brushed steel colour/look. Roughly a 12m run.

Cheers

Yes BM, they are thrilled with both balustrade & the railing & I did enjoy making them. It was a welcome change from being all the trades you need to be when renovating a house.

Thank you KatyF, I was also a bit taken aback at Dave's comment - his reference to the "pointing" was a bit delayed. I assumed he was referring to the steelwork!!! Actually we had nothing at all to do with the building, just fitted the steel to the cement & that was it. Methinks it's a case of  'after the horse has bolted' & a hint of an apology would go a long way.[+o(]   [Www]

And to NMLTD - I will send you a PM - don't want to fall foul of the powers that be!

Postie

Yes BM, they are thrilled with both balustrade & the railing & I did enjoy making them. It was a welcome change from being all the trades you need to be when renovating a house.

Thank you KatyF, I was also a bit taken aback at Dave's comment - his reference to the "pointing" was a bit delayed. I assumed he was referring to the steelwork!!! Actually we had nothing at all to do with the building, just fitted the steel to the cement & that was it. Methinks it's a case of  'after the horse has bolted' & a hint of an apology would go a long way.[+o(]   [Www]

hi ok

no way will you get one .I was referring to the pointing ... but if you want a comment on the iron work ... why are the railings square when the building is round ???

Dave

[quote user="water rat"]If folks feel the need to come on the forum and  not only blow their own trumpets , but include pics as well ,then they should expect vast amounts of citicism.[/quote] And if people feel the need to levvy vast amounts of criticism perhaps they shouldn't live in glass houses. Maybe it's just my interpretation but I thought the OP was saying "I had a go at this and it turned out ok what do you guys think" and yes that may invite criticism. It could also invite a few words of recognition along the lines of  "Doing it rather than talking about it ...that's a change / good"

Why is the railing facetted rather than radiused...I would guess that the building isn't uniform in any case but most likely not having a bending machine to hand would be a reasonable guess.

Maybe it's all a fabrication.............

If the customer was happy: and the OP was paid and was also happy: what the hell??

One man's meat is another man's poison.

Practically I would probably have bought forged black iron bits and tried to recreate a classic French balcony style: as I am currently mulling over for the front of our house. A waisted, small, iron railing to set-off the now stone-chipped front and the retaining wall, using traditional balusters and baskets and etc.

It aint rocket science, since all the bits are available and are not too outrageously expensive.

Comme ça:

Mulling over, mainly due to the cost and time elements...........circa 30 odd Metre run will not prove cheap.

[blink]