lighting requirements in outside storeroom containing oil central heating boiler and oil tank

chirpy

Using an I.P. rated light fitting for any outside requirements should be the correct route to prevent water ingress and the possibility of fire and in order to meet the I.P. rating the lamp would be enclosed to prevent bursting of the lamp should water come into contact with the lamp.

I.P. rating is the Internal Protection rating (aka Ingress Protection Rating)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

I only know this as recently I was looking for an external light and saw these ratings and wondered what they were.

BTW, am I right in thinking you won't be able to get 100 watt lightbulbs for much longer and they will have to be the equivalent low energy thingies?

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

BTW, am I right in thinking you won't be able to get 100 watt lightbulbs for much longer and they will have to be the equivalent low energy thingies?

[/quote]

From what I have read absolutely right, and it seems that some stores have already stopped stocking 100W incandescent bulbs even though the new requirements don't come into force until September (and I am not sure whether at that point it is 100W bulbs that are banned from sale or >100W).

Where there is a potential for a volatile gas being present then the fitting and switching should both be 'Intrinsically safe'  ie any starter or contactors should be appropriately shielded.

I have no idea what the French Regs will say however things can go bang! or Le bang! doesn't make much odds when the roof is in the car park.

There are other things that may be of interest ie. hard wired smoke  / heat detection which can connect to a drop out valve (Isolates fuel supply in the event of alarm being triggered)

Tank overfill alarms which will give an audible alert if tank is getting too full and in UK will stop the delivery of fuel when activated if the fuel suppliers equipment is compatible Some equipment will allow you to monitor fuel level from the comfort of your home rather than messing about outside.

Hope this helps