Gas hob burning orange

Fi

I think this could be bad!  We have a Bosch cuisiniere mixte - gas burners/elec fan oven.  It was originally bought in Holland and ran on town gas.  When got here as there is no town gas, the man from Gitem replaced the valves for bottled gas.  It has been OK, but not brilliant (I just blamed the bottled gas).  However, the burners now have some orange flames, as though some oxygen is getting in somehow, and soot is deposited on the bottoms of the saucepans.  I really don't want to spend a load of money because we plan to redo the kitchen entirely within the next year or so, but I don't want asphyxiate the family either. 

Is it just a case of getting the valves tweeked  (if so, is it a DIY job) or do I have a more serious problem?

Fi

I don't know how it could have changed, but normally you can pull of the knobs on the hob and you will find a small hole for a fine screwdriver or allen-key to do the adjustment to regulate the flame. I assume that if you have replaced the bottle you have replaced it with the correct gas.

[quote user="gosub"]I don't know how it could have changed, but normally you can pull of the knobs on the hob and you will find a small hole for a fine screwdriver or allen-key to do the adjustment to regulate the flame. I assume that if you have replaced the bottle you have replaced it with the correct gas.

[/quote]

I will have a go with a jewellers screwdriver.  Bloke is Mr Gas Getter (and is hiding in The Hague at the moment, and for the next 3 weeks) - the bottle looks the same as the last one, it's just a darker shade of blue.  And we always go to the same garage to swap bottles so there's no real reason to have picked up the wrong sort.  I really didn't take much notice when he came back with it.

If the cooker ran on town gas, 20mbar pressure in France and you now run it on bottle gas, 28mbar for butane and 37mbar for propane

You need to change the burner jets for the correct size for the gas you are using

The bottle, regulator and any valves in the line should all be rated for the correct gas, butane or propane, check them

Don't fiddle with anything else

The jets can be purchased as a single set, I suggest you google for them

They are easy to change, just remove the burner tops and you will see them

You would be better not to use it until you have the correct jets fitted

Le Plombier

If memory serves you must be licensed to carry out modifications on French Gas appliances.

I am not but seem to recall getting plagued having bought a bottled gas cooker by people wanting to make sure it conformed with some regulations or other. The cooker is currently in my shed in the UK so I didn't bother.

We had the jets changed when we first moved here and changed from town to bottled gas (butane - the blue cannisters).  The problem I have is that the flames are orange, especially on one burner and the bottoms of the saucepans have some soot on them.  Gosub's suggestion of altering the valves isn't possible because I can' see anything to alter, even having taken the knobs off.   Basically there is the  metal bar the knob is attached too and not much else.

Here is a picture:

[IMG]http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr340/FNSH/new290.jpg[/IMG]

Not that it looks as though it will be a great deal of help!

Before I get a gas person here (or get the person back who changed the valves orginally) I want to be sure it isn't something blinding obvious to save my blushes.

Thanks

Fi

Has there been any spillages or over enthusiastic cleaning allowing much to get into the burner body?

If so it may simply be a case of cleaning required (I would suspect if there's only one iffy burner then this may be the case)

If the appliance isn't used much there may be rust/ scale within the burner/ burner body, jets,  also.

An airline if you have one or an air duster may help clean things up.

I assume you have checked that you have a full bottle, positively connected (No rubbish dropped into the connection between bottle and governor) The bottle is stood upright and no gas leaks?

Bottle colour does not matter

Check what gas it is, it will say propane or butane on the bottle

Whichever it is then the regulator etc, etc, should all say butane or propane to match the gas stated on the bottle

If you have a valve by the cooker, dependant upon which type it will say propane or butane, or will have a green line ( butane ) or a red line ( propane )

Le Plombier

It's butane.  The regulator on the top of the bottle says butane too.  And it wasn't fully open (only by a few mm) . which has improved things a little bit.  I think it could be a cleanliness issue[:$] - what I would call the normal burners (not the wok burner or the diddy one) are the ones with the orange flames.  Don't have any kind air line but I could take out the burners and dig around with a bit of fine wire in all the nooks and crannies.  And if that doesn't help, will have a look for the air adjustment screw.  And if none of that works, I'll have to get the gas man out. 

Another fun evening chez Fifi!

[quote user="RicandJo"]

If you look here https://portal.bsh-partner.com/portal(bD1kZSZjPTAwOQ==)/PORTALFRAME.HTM you should be able to download the instructions for you cooker from Bosch.  It should contain therein instructions to regulate the flame if necessary.

[/quote]

The link didn't work.  But don't worry, I'll surf around - they're bound to be on t'interweb somewhere.

Thanks anyway.

Fi

When we bought our cooker ( Castorama) it came with two sets of jets ....town  and bottled gas ones . We had to change over to bottled gas.. easy to put the jets in.......May I suggest  check the places that sell cookers they may  be able to help you out with a set of jets for bottled gas ?

I am getting worried here that people not qualified to do so will be tempted to engage in adjusting the burning of a gas appliance.

Adjusting a mixture screw sound innoccuous enough however how once set up properly would it ever go out of adjustment?

If you light one burner then others do you see a subsequent drop of in performance?

If you have a couple of burners operating in an iffy fashion and others ok then adjustment is unlikely to be the answer but cleanliness may be.

If there's adjustment or more detailed analysis required please get a qualified person ( I am not one) involved. Your Insurer would take a dim view of no gable end and unqualified gas works no matter how well they were done.

Bon chance!

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]

And can I just point out that an incorrect flame can produce carbon monoxide. The soot on the bottom of the pan is carbon. I only takes a few oxygen molecules in the mix and ......

Have you got a detector?

[/quote]

Yes.  And a smoke detector. 

Going to give it a clean up, although it is quite clean really, and see if that does the trick. 

Fi

Can I ask on this discussioin - our bottled gas cooker which we acquired with the house when we bought it, seems to work ok - we have a blue flame, but all the burners seem to produce a lot of soot/carbon residue. One in particular. It is a nothing special cooker - just 4 burners - have seem the same on sale for around 400 euros in Giant in Anglouleme.

Is this anything we should be worried about?

Cheers.