Painting walls

connolls

Hi,

I think that our hallway is got old lime plaster on it (how do you tell ??) It's all fairly sound apart from a few bits we have had to patch up. Is it ok to paint with crown matt emulsion (as we have gallons of it) or do we need to use special paint and if so why and what ? Any help or information appreciated. Thanks. Mel.

If you put modern emulsion onto lime based paint/plaster it'll peel off in no time.  The only sure fire way I know to tell is paint some emulsion on and see if it peels off..........

You need to coat the walls first with the French version of sugar soap.  Worked well for us!

teapot - if your walls are lime plastered and they're in reasonable shape - it's not such a good idea to paint with emulsion as this will prevent the walls from 'breathing' i.e. the emulsion will create an impermeable barrier and prevent the house (I assume it's old) from controlling damp in the way it was intended to do. There's plenty of breathable paints around including limewash or lime based paints or casein paints, all of which can be coloured and are not difficult to paint on, as well as having the advantage of being non-toxic and easy to clean up after.

[quote user="RicandJo"][quote user="teapot"][quote user="RicandJo"]

You need to coat the walls first with the French version of sugar soap.  Worked well for us!

[/quote]

??

[/quote]

lessive St. Marc

[/quote]

Thanks RicandJo, brought my sugar soap from the UK, used it to remove grease and soap scum from kitchen and bathroom walls prior to re-painting with eggshell paint. neither of which are lime as they are in the new wing of the building. Sounds posh doesn't it, actually its just an extention made from parpangs [;-)]

Yeah it's good stuff. We painted a room which obviously had lime based paint on it and it peeled terribly. We were going to coat the Walls with pva then a neighbour told us to use the St Marc stuff which acts as a kind of stabilizing solution I guess. Paint went on a treat afterwards.

Can you tell me - adding to this thread what is causing the paint in our kitchen to literally 'run'? The paint has been on the wall for years (and most probably years), only each time I see it, it seems to be almost dripping! - You can wash it off but it looks like some form of gloss.

Hi,

Sorry to say I don't know anything about the "runnning walls" (good luck with that one) but just wanted to say thanks for the info on lime walls. been looking at places that sell lime paints in the UK not sure what it's called in France (any info gratefully received). is it expensive over here ??

Thanks Mel

We use obliteration emulsion. Its an high opacity paint used in new builds. If your buying in the U.K it's readily available in most paint suppliers, in France I would imagine the lime paint is the preferred stuff. Incidently, the obliteration emulsion can be mixed to most colours.

Connolls - Lime based paint (le badigeon a la chaux) are reasonably priced and often manufactured by St. Astier.  Galtane is another brand but they have more limited distribution in France. You can also make your own quite easily from hydrated lime which is available at most bricos; I've done this for most rooms in the house except for kitchens and bathrooms (as they're not easily washable) and the result is a soft, opaque matt finish. If you'd like more info please pm me. (I don't have any commercial interest in this needless to say).