Fittings from UK

roxy

I hope this is ok to post here. I want to bring a couple of ceiling lights from the UK to fit in France. Would it be possible to rewire them to French requirements or would this be impossible to do or invalidate the insurance? Also, can plugs be rewired for the French system? thanks

I make table lamps and still have some U.K. fittings that I put into them and I haven't had any problems fitting French lampshades to them yet?

What's this about ceiling roses? I have fitted 4 in our place without problems and they are a darned sight more acceptable than the French equivalent of a bit of chocolate block.

French bulb holders seem to come in two sizes; one the same as UK, and the other more commonly, in our experience anyway, quite a bit bigger, so that a UK lampshade won't go anywhere it. [blink]

I'd rather not mix UK and French fittings in the house, but that's a personal preference. Anything I install (electrical) now must have a NF mark on it. One day I'll want to sell and move on (when the garden gets to be too much for me) and I want everything to be "aux normes". [Www]

Sid

The bigger ones that I have seen are Edison screw fittings and they are not common in England, but the bayonnette fittings should be the same?

As for the ceiling roses, when we move, for the same reason as you Sid, the roses will stay there with the cable and socket so there shouldn't be any problems.

[quote user="Jonzjob"]<

What's this about ceiling roses? I have fitted 4 in our place without problems and they are a darned sight more acceptable than the French equivalent of a bit of chocolate block.

[/quote]

Ceiling roses (UK style) are unusable (as in non authorised) because all junction boxes(which is what a ceiling rose is) must only be openable with a "tool" such as a screwdriver. Remember that it is the householders responsibility to ensure that their property conforms to all the regs...

IMHO, French "ceiling roses" (DCLs) are much nicer looking/easier to use than the UK style.

Boxes of connection (which a ceiling rose might be considered as an example) should only be openable using a tool (outil) or by a strong manual action (forte action manuelle). Quite a lot of NF compliant JB's are like that. So by my reckoning a ceiling rose wot screws on is OK: it's certainly safe enough.

Thanks to all for the advice - I am confused though - I was under the impression that a ceiling rose was an ornamental piece of plasterwork surrounding the hole that the wiring came out of - you will all be pleased to know that I am not going to attempt rewiring, myself!!

[quote user="La Guerriere"]The pendant is the bit that hangs down. the rose can either be the decorative plaster bit OR the round plastic box in the middle[/quote]

I only found out a while ago that a chandelier in french is for the exclusive use of candles and the lighting that hangs from the ceiling (with or without a rose) is a lustre.  We live and learn, huh.

[quote user="sweet 17"]Ouch, Jen, the expression "hanging from the chandelier" would never be the same again, don't you think?[/quote]

Well, SW17, it was only after I had pressed the 'post' key that it occurred to me that someone would pick up on the "hanging from the chandelier" expression, and my money was on Wooly[Www]