Internal doors

oldgit72

This may sound daft but are there any restrictions on internal door widths in France. I am making my own cottage style doors from t+g which I can get in 14cm widths using 5 planks to make a 70cm width door. Off the shelf doors all seem to be 73cm and I am wondering if this is for some obscure regulatory reason? Thanks

With 5 planks don't you end up with slightly less than 70cms as I assume you would have to plane off the tounge on one side and the groove on the other?

If this is the case, and you have a 73cm hole to fill, you could rip 2 pieces from an extra plank to the correct widths (1.5cm) and finish off the door like that.  I know its a bit of waste but maybe an easy option?

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

With 5 planks don't you end up with slightly less than 70cms as I assume you would have to plane off the tounge on one side and the groove on the other?

If this is the case, and you have a 73cm hole to fill, you could rip 2 pieces from an extra plank to the correct widths (1.5cm) and finish off the door like that.  I know its a bit of waste but maybe an easy option?

[/quote]

Thanks but I checked that out and the measurememnt of the planks is 14cm  without the tongue. I checked with a neighnour and although their door measures 73cm, the actual opening is only 70 cm as there is 1.5cm each side for closing the door onto. Just to be safe, I'm leaving 75cm openings in the studwork then I can ensure that the finished opening is at least 70cm.

I made mine from the same floor boards but at 20cm widths. Four boards to a door and when planed and cleaned came out at 78,5cm (I like elbow room). But rather than leave a gap in the studwork, the door was hung on its oak post, then the next post was butted up to it for a good fit, then the wall continued. Easier than trying to make a door to fit a gap in my case.

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]I bought a couple of pre-hung 63cm doors (used them for loos, although it didn't say that on the box).

So, 63cm is OK.[/quote]

Blimey I'd need to go on a diet if I wanted to use your loo[:D]. Thanks for the info though.