help! - butane hose won't fit my English cooker

yoko

Brought out a new English gas cooker because can't get double oven here in France. Got someone to change the burners for LPG. All well until he tried to connect the butane bottle. The cooker has what I guess you would call a female connection and so does the flexible metal hose from the gas. f

Please tell me there's an easily available 'adaptateur' .

yoko

I don't think that is the case Le Plombier, the gas jets were changed but a number of uk appliances are the other way round to the french re male/ female fittings like regulators to gas bottle etc.

Like wise the suggestion of converting DIY, if you have to ask a question you should not be doing the job, it should be done by someone who knows what they are doing and applying gas tight sealant.

EDIT, I really did not put that over very well, I am not criticising just adding comment

I had a Stoves range style cooker in UK and when I asked about new jets to use with bottled gas in France, they flatly refused to sell them to me and told me to buy another cooker in France[blink] assumed it was a sales pitch?

Easy tiger,

What you say is true, in the case of "adapting" gas appliances safety is key and in the event of an accident insurance companies take a different view and also the law.

There is nothing wrong with asking if there is an adapter available beyond that, how do I ??????? in the case of gas that should be passed to a certified person.

Unbelievable !

For clarification, on the back of the cooker there is a 1/2bsp female thread

On the end of the gas flexible there is a female union joint and washer

To join the two you need a black malleable iron male/male 1/2 hexagon nipple

This has taper threads

Do not use a brass fitting as it has parallel threads and does not comply with the regulations

Jointing tape and jointing compounds used must have the blue ATG stamp

Better still use a gas qualified installer to do it for you, test the installation and make sure you are safe

Apart from the connection of the gas supply does your installation comply with the regulations in regard to ventilation

Jubilee clips and all the other rubbish put forward is not in complaince with the regulations

The way you lot go on you might as well use a bike tyre inner tube and two jubilee clips based on the reasoned argument that it will withstand the pressure

Get real you lot you are talking about a very dangerous substance

Le Plombier

Calm down, Calm down,

No one on this thread sugested using a jubilee clip, it is an observation of what can be purchased from Brico's. It is precisely why I said for safety and insurance purposes you should have the mods carried out by a registered person.

FYI on the back of my cooker it is terminated with a male 1/2 BSP.

You see, I said why bother with the jubilee clip [:P]

[quote user="Le Plombier"]Unbelievable! The way you lot go on you might as well use a bike tyre inner tube and two jubilee clips based on the reasoned argument that it will withstand the pressure Get real you lot you are talking about a very dangerous substance Le Plombier[/quote]

Been there, done that, got the singed eyebrows [6]

[quote user="Chancer"]

A jubilee clip sounds a bit over the top, why not just push it on like most caravanners?

[/quote]

What!!!???? Whatever gives you that idea? Most caravanners, me included, would be most insulted! [:-))]

For a caravan to receive its immatriculation here in France it must pass a gas inspection; one of the checkpoints is a securely fastened gas pipe.

Not that any of this helps the OP of course, so why mention caravanners in the first place!.

Sid caravanner [:(]

[quote user="Chancer"]

You see, I said why bother with the jubilee clip [:P]

[quote user="Le Plombier"]Unbelievable! The way you lot go on you might as well use a bike tyre inner tube and two jubilee clips based on the reasoned argument that it will withstand the pressure Get real you lot you are talking about a very dangerous substance Le Plombier[/quote]

Been there, done that, got the singed eyebrows [6]

[/quote]

Next time try reinforcing the inner tube with a bit of duct tape. This also makes a fine more-or-less gas tight seal for attaching at both ends. Simple. [:P]

The jubilee clips appear to have an NF marking on them as do the tubes - are these worthless?

Thank you for your clear explanation of what I need. It means nothing to me, of course, but presumably I have to get this part in England? The tradesman who changed the burners for me said he will fit the part and test for leaks if I can get hold of what is needed.

Sorry to ask another question.

Best wishes, yoko.

If the back of the cooker terminates in a male thread it is because the required fitting is already installed, look at it closely

You can get the fitting at most bricos and professional plumbing and heating merchants

Any professional plumber in France would know this and where to get the fitting

Le Plombier