A grease separator.

jo

[quote user="jo"] oilve oil flows freely at any temperature.[/quote]

When I went over to check on the damage caused by the minus 14 temperatures we had had over the winter, the olive oil in my pantry was solid! I have seen it go cloudy when it gets cold, but I'd never seen that![blink]

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

Jondeau

Not a problem and ludicrous eh ?

Maybe you should come and work with me for a while

I will show you blocked drains you won't believe, the vast majority blocked solid with grease

By the way I don't clear them, I leave that to DynoRod

Le Plombier

[/quote]

LeP old chap........I've retired.....and not before time too in my opinion.

Over the years I've rodded many a drain though I will admit I've never had occasion to do a French one.

Biggest causes of blocked drains, in no particular order......Human hair, tea leaves, coffee grounds, waste food, sanitary towels, nappies, roots and indeed grease. But I've never come across a drain that was clogged solid with grease (seen pictures of them on TV though but only in Londons restaurant areas)

One other thing, I almost always went and did them when anyone asked.........people remember, and months or even years later when they want a heating system or a major job doing they ring up their reliable plumber.

[quote user="Le Plombier"]

Jondeau old bean

Just as well you are retired

You obviously have never worked in France and have absolutely no idea about the differences in most things out here

If you did you might make a sensible comment

Le Plombier

[/quote]

Well, well.......what have I said to upset you ?

It's a mystery to me...........can't be the drainage post because you've never rodded any so how would you know?

I used to have a holiday house in Boisse, 17,700 near Surgeres.

Which I renovated myself .....I used a local plasterer to do some of the internal stuff. Dominic Panzerri he was called, lived in the village of St. Saturin de Bois. I can't remember his address........but I'm pretty sure it was route De la Fontaine, just round the corner from the bar in St. Saturnin de Bois...his wife was Diane and she was a South African. The were quite a few English people in the area, and I'm  sure some of those will have met Dominic and Diane

Dominic and I got on fine and I assisted him on several jobs.........purely a reciprocal arrangement .

Over the years, my periods in France varied from a month or two to about eight months at a time and I've seen French plumbing at it's worst.....and it is the worst you could imagine.

I have also lived (and worked purely as a hobby ) just outside Montauban in Southern France.

So leP......what are you doing in France ?

This post was edited by the moderators as it broke the forum Code of Conduct

Yep it was the most disgusting job I have ever been involved in. 

I was not shovelling the grease by the way to those who enjoy the job.  No ,no, we were shovelling ancient human excrement....... excuse me ....

Dearest Le P, have noted what you said, while we will not immediatly install a grease separator, hubby advises he is going to make a quick diversion to one outside the kitchen window possible in future. we are not ones to ask for advice then ignore it when we get it.

I am qualified English, trade City and Guilds certs, H & V Technicians Cert, HND

Member of the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers and a registered Incorporated Engineer

Gas qualified in France

That should be qualified enough

I am here for a lifestyle change, been here years now and make a decent living working as a plumber

Le Plombier

This post was edited by the moderators as it broke the forum Code of Conduct

Tune in at the same time tomorrow to read the next exciting episode of Plumber Wars!

Follow all the excitement of those daring men who venture forth to clear grease traps and empty septic tanks!

Stand back in awe as the young pretender outsmarts the old wrinkly!

Come on, lads, you've both made invaluable contributions to this forum, for which certainly I, and I expect everyone else, is truly grateful, but this squabbling is making you both look a bit silly. Let normal service be resumed - Please?

This thread has been pruned by the moderators and some comments have been edited or deleted as they broke the forum code of conduct.

• Please choose your

words carefully when posting a message.

• Please keep to the topic of the original thread
  • Please do not post messages which are insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes

material sent via personal e-mails through this forum
If you wish to make a complaint about a post, please use the Report button, do not post a reply in kind on the forum, as the thread may then be locked and/or removed.

Thank you.

Forum moderators

Calm down dears, it's only sewage.

Interestingly enough, we have just had a brand SPANC-ing new fosse system installed, all tiddly poo, with the filter bed carefully and rigourously inspected (controlled) by a nice young lady from the office, and guess what ?

No bac a graisse specified or installed .....

• 5 months later...
I have been searching old posts to glean some information about grease traps and this topic seems to be the most relevant. So... We had a fosse toutes eaux installed 2 years ago and cleaned out the bac à graisse about 6 months ago. It had a thick crust of grease but after removing it we were able to gently run clean water through it and there was nothing else. Having opened it up today we found a small amount of grease floating on the top, lumps of something which looks suspiciously like congealed washing powder and on the bottom of the bac a layer of sludgy silt. Can someone please tell me -

1. should I be much more careful of the type of washing powder I use.

2. Is this sludge normal (having not seen any last time) and, as written in a previous post,would scooping it out take us back to a clean bac? Also, what cause the sludge?

3. What precautions should we take to ensure we treat the fosse with respect?

Would welcome any advice. Dorothy

PS It's the royal we, Im the one doing the encouraging!