Installing a Boiler from the UK

Joshua

I need to replace and re-site my boiler from the cave to the garage and am considering bringing a boiler back from the UK

I've fitted three complete central heating systems previously in the UK and am confident I can do this replacement correctly and safely

I can get a Biasi Combi A rated boiler with a LPG conversion kit and flue for less than £600 from the UK so the savings make this attractive.

I would prefer to have the installation checked by a tradesman.

Would this be possible and does the installation need to be signed off.

Any advise , negative or positive would be welcomed

Joshua

I doubt you'll find a single person to recommend or endorse your plan, for any number of reasons.

For one, no matter how safely you do it it will never conform to French standards which can lead to all manner of consequential problems and potentially could invalidate your property insurance. The use of LPG is particularly worrying in these circumstances.

Sign off or not you will not find a French artisan who will even touch it.

In a word, don't !

Pinched off a plumbing forum .... brought a smile to my face !

Re: Advice on choosing a combi boiler please

I would go for the De Gaulle model made by La Gloire, its specifications are unprecedented. It will produce 200 litres per minute of hot water whilst the central heating is stil operating. There is no running costs as the boiler pays the consumer 100 euro's for each Kw of energy used. The days of roomstats etc are long gone, all you need now is the revolutionary La Gloire "Napoleon" consumer control. This is a device which the end user places on their head and communicates to the boiler via telepathy, thereby giving the user ultimate control of their domestic environment. If you thought it couldn't get better than that, it does, after all the innovation, they send Frenchmen out to install it, baring in mind the least competent French plumbing engineer is superior to 90% of British engineers. Last, but not least, the boiler is backed by La Gloire's much heralded "Infinity" warrenty (not that you'll need it), given the consumer ultimate peace of mind. Do not make the mistake of millions by purchasing a boiler made in Blighty, the build quality will be appalling. Still not sold?. Remember this, the British, who ran the worlds Largest empire and invented 58% of the 20th century's inventions cannot run a Brothel, while the illustrious French were raped by their neighbour three times in less than a hundred years. I know who I would go with. Viva la France

Thanks for your comments AnOther,

I'm surprised in a way really, because I spoke to several boiler manufacturers and they say they sell lots of boilers to Brits living in France. One of the reasons they say for making LPG conversion kits available ( mind you, they would say that )

The boiler thats in at the moment looks very basic, in fact primitive. Can you recommend one that meets or exceeds the A rating standard used in the UK

Thanks again,  Joshua

Your boiler replacement must comply with the following to be legal in France

The boiler needs the NF mark or a manufacturers certificate of conformity for France

The installation requires a certificate of conformity, Modele 2 if in the same location or Modele 4 if installed in a new location

All pipework and equipment must comply to the gas regulations

You need a Qualigaz registered plumber to issue the certificate or you can purchase the certificate and pay for an audit by Qualigaz themselves

If you do not do this and your distributor finds out you have changed the boiler he will shut off your gas supply and call in Qualigaz to inspect

Do you realise the gas pressure in the pipe from the storage tank to the Detender de Security, a shut off and pressure reducing valve, is a nominal 1.5bar. The DDS is located by the boiler.

The only exception to this is with some meterd supplies where the distributor reduces the pressure to 37mbar at the storage tank adjacent to the meter

Compare this to the 20mbar pressure on your UK mains gas supply

I am Qualigaz registered and if an amateur asked me to issue a certificate for his installation I would smartly walk away

The regulations here are much more complex than the UK and the Qualgaz inspectorate make no allowances

The cost to you for a cerificate and inspection by Qualigaz is around 150 euros

If your installations fails you will pay the same again for another inspection after you have corrected the faults

This assumes you will be able to fill out the form correctly in the first place, if you can't do that they will just post it back to you

Gas is dangerous, LPG even more dangerous

Le Plombier

Mark well the advice of those in the know!  I have friends who employed a properly qualified UK heating engineer to fit a gas central heating system in their home over here.  They also rent an LPG tank from a local firm.  That firm has refused to connect said tank to the system as they cannot get anybody here to approve it.  Thus they have been paying rent for the tank for two years now with nil benefit.  They have resorted to using small gas cylinders to run their heating system which - if they ever want to sell the house - will be more of a liability than a plus point as it should be.

Hi,

Thanks for the sound advice, Le Plombier and Cooperlola

I think I'll give it a miss and pay someone qualified to do it.

At least I've paid nothing out.

Time I've got loads of !

I'll stick to growing veg instead . That is, unless someone tells me I'm not qualified

Regards Josh

[quote user="Joshua"]

I'll stick to growing veg instead . That is, unless someone tells me I'm not qualified

[/quote]

Carrots can be extremely dangerousat times. Also, you need to watch out for the moles. Doing nothing is the safest option.[:P]