Re-route and lengthen electric cable

steveg22

Hi,

I recently demolished a raised granite fireplace/hearth and found buried inside the morter - 1 cable to the chau eau (which I cut through and temporarily repaired) and more worryingly a very thick tube inside of which is the mains cable (meter tails?) - thankfully I didn't cut into this! These cables run behind block walls from EDF's box to the tableau in the utility room - 10m approx.

I am replacing the raised fireplace with a low slate hearth and installing a woodburner and I need the these cables to run under the hearth.

1) Can I cut into the mains cable (turn supply off at EDF's box) and lengthen the cable to re-route under the slate hearth

2) Is 16mm cable the correct size.

3) Rigid tube for the conduit

4) Are chocolate box connectors OK for a permanent joint behind the walls?

Any help/advice etc gratefully received

Thanks

Steve (Dept 22)

PS. I have waited for an electrician to come and do this work since October but as yet the work hasn't been done.

You did say any help, I would certainly take advice from a professional registered electrician for this type of work.

16mm, personally i would take the opportunity to upgrade the cable to 25mm which I seem to remember reading somewhere is now the recommended size for new installations.

I would not use any choc box type connectors on that sort of power. I don't know if they are used in France (regulation) but a resin joint is what I would use.

Armoured Cable Resin Joint Kit for 2, 3, 4 & 5 Core - 16 to 35mm

Yes to the uninitiated, [:P]

It is a purpose made high power high current connector as used in almost every underground supply to domestic dwelling. Not to mention larger versions for industrial applications.

The resin prevents oxidisation and therefore the danger of a high resistance connection producing too much heat.

1) Can I cut into the mains cable (turn supply off at EDF's box) and lengthen the cable to re-route under the slate hearth. You should arrange the cable runs in such a way that you can replace them without damage to the existing finishing of the house. I would either :

Replace the entire cable with one length or Install a junction box so the two lengths can be replaced

2) Is 16mm cable the correct size. The maximum power for 16 mm is 30 amps at 53 metres, 45 amps at 36 metres or 60 amps at 27 metres - So it depends on how powerful you electricity supply / main disjointer is how far away the tableau is

3) Rigid tube for the conduit yes

4) Are chocolate box connectors OK for a permanent joint behind the walls? provided the two section can be replaced see 1 above

Not sure I like the idea of power cables anywhere near a hearth

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

As I said previously, I have waited for 10 weeks for the electrician to do this work (and other work) so that I can complete the wood burner installation.

If I have to do the work then it will only be temporary repair until the sparky turns up and he can re-do the work to a professional standard.

"Not sure I like the idea of power cables anywhere near a hearth" The original cable/conduit was 20mm under the direct heat source, the new cable will be 150mm from the woodburner.

I will go for 25mm tails but I can't see "resin" in the Brico Depot catalogue - is soldering the cables a 'no-no'?

Picture shows the cables running left to right from EDF's box to the tableau (10 meters) and 12kva supply

[IMG]http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/steveg22/EPSN1311.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Théière"].... hard to believe it was ever installed that way in the first place.[/quote]

My fusebox is in the bathroom. Nothing surprises me about electricity here any more.

Its quite handy though - if the power goes off when Im in the shower, I can just reach out and flick it back on.[blink]

• 4 weeks later...
Just an update.

The electrician didn't come and do the cable. I received an email to say that he had hurt his back and had been signed off by the doctor.

However, after struggling through the snow and having to abandon my trailer (with the woodburner on the back), I was determined to have it installed and lit for Christmas. I extended the 10mm tails and ran it through rigid tubing (the tails will be replaced when I have a new tableau installed) and can easily be accessible by removing a section of the plasterboard.

[IMG]http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/steveg22/EPSN1344.jpg[/IMG]

Hi.

I have found the best and safest way to extend cables is not with the "chocolate box" connector method, but with the correct sized shrink wrap connector,giving a completely safe and insulated joints as no core wires are exposed.

I believe that the use of both the scotch-clip and chocy box connections were made illegal in the UK in the early 90s.

I think Scotch-clip connectors were designed for automotive applications?

Dominoes are a standard choice here and in applications with no movement are perfectly safe.

I can't find the shrink-wrap connectors, could you post a photo or link please?

Sid