Spare part for sewing machine : electrical question

allanb

I know this isn't exactly a house renovation, but there doesn't seem to be an "electrical appliances" forum and I know there are some knowledgeable electricians around.

We have a Bernina sewing machine, about 25 years old, and we need to replace what they strangely call the "foot pedal" (what other kind of pedal is there?) - i.e. the speed control which normally sits on the floor. 

My question is about voltage.  We live in France.  The machine was bought in the US and operates on 110v, now through a transformer.  We have found the replacement part in a US catalogue, identified by the machine model number, with no mention of voltage.   We have not found it available on any European website - not even the site of the Swiss manufacturer. 

Is it likely that the control is unaffected by the main supply voltage, or will we have to find one made specifically for 110v? 

PS - I should have explained : the reason for the question is that the US dealer will not ship outside the US.

On the offchance that this may help, we had a similarly aged Singer speed control go up in smoke. Examination showed that it was a resistor? capacitor? that had burnt. Googling a replacement part revealed that it was there to prevent radio interference and most people cut it out and threw it away. That's what I did and the speed control works perfectly and there's no more smoke. (Tele's a bit grainy though [:)] )

Steve

I had an old electric Singer machine and various things went wrong with it. Had it repaired here once and it cost 100€.  Then something else went wrong so we decided to scrap it.

I got a new one from Champion,  BlueSky make, using my points .  The full cost was only 79€ and it works beautifully.

I still felt sad as I chucked the old one into the skip at the dechetterie.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Isn't a  Bernina the all singing dancing Rolls Royce of sewing machines for serious sewing ?[/quote]No.  My wife just uses it for sewing.  I do the singing and dancing.

We could certainly find someone in the US to forward the part, but we need it urgently because of a major sewing project.  We're hoping to find it locally, or maybe on e-bay, but we need to know whether the voltage is part of the specification.

[quote user="Sc"]On the offchance that this may help, we had a similarly aged Singer speed control go up in smoke. Examination showed that it was a resistor? capacitor? that had burnt. Googling a replacement part revealed that it was there to prevent radio interference and most people cut it out and threw it away. That's what I did and the speed control works perfectly and there's no more smoke. (Tele's a bit grainy though [:)] )

Steve

[/quote]

My bernina (about the same age) stopped about 2 years ago, whilst I was still living in London with a Bernina repair shop close by.  Basically the repairer said essentially the same thing as the above quote says, he took the offending piece out and said it was not needed any more, as electrical installations had improved since the manufacture of the Bernina, and it no longer needed the supression in the foot pedal.  He also gave the machine a good service, the first one it had had since I got in about 1972/3, and it was OK the last time I used it.  So it is worth trying to take out the relevant part (sorry not an electrician!), and see what happens. 

I should have given all the ghastly details in the original post!

I have now spoken to someone running a quilting shop in Toulouse who thinks he can find one in France. It will solve our problem if he does, although I don't suppose it will be cheap.

He said he didn't think the main supply voltage would affect the control, but that if it did, it would be easy to change the variable whatsit (resistor?)

You can always look for parts on ebay, I've bought various bits and bobs that are often hard to track down, as said new sewing machines are very cheap but probably a bit plasticky compared to the Bernina but chances are it would have more features.