Anti condensation Paint.

Marym2

I hope you don't think I'm being flippant, but anti condensation paint sounds like an oxymoron to me. I Googled it and the answers in the advertising blurbs just don't add up. Having said that I am sure that some boffin will come up with an answer too prove that it is what we've all been waiting for. The reason I can't get my head around it is the fact that paint is micro millimetres thick and I can't see where the insulating property comes from. Like Marym2 I would be intrigued to hear from somebody who can convince me that it works, if so I would quite happily hold up my hands and say "great".

Confused of St Jacques Des Guerets

I have used a nano technology anti mould paint based on a silver formula which as far as not being contacted since I imagine is still working but that is really something different albeit from the same stable.

They are not the only people marketing it though so must be some truth behind it

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Anti_Condensation___Anti_Mould_Paint.html

It'd be cheaper to get some silver filings and mix them in some epoxy paint. Or alternatively spray the dodgy walls with a 5% bleach water solution every month before the mould gets a chance to grow. A stronger bleach solution will get rid of  unsightly mould stains.

MaryM2

What do you want to use the paint for?

To prevent condensation from forming?

Or to stop it from running and dripping?

If its the former then a layer of a few mms of paint is not going to be sufficient insulation, there are paints sold claiming this but their real usage is to seperate fools from their hard-earned.

If it is the second there are expensive paints available but I found a much cheaper solution.

Another question, does the finish need to be decorative? i.e will it be visible?

Hi

Just wondered about this as someone asked as he was thinking of using it on some interior walls that get cold and then has condensation forming On another reply Anti mould paint etc has never worked when he has used it. This stuf has tiny 'vacums' but again would like to know if any one has used it, this company/brand in particular.

Evey property has condensation as long as there is ambient moisture inc breathing there will be condensation at some point.

The issue is where it reaches unaccptable levels due (Or even dew) to temperature differentials.

Will paint significantly affect the range of surface temperature required for the formation of condensate to the extent that it wont occur?

Surely easier to do what people have done for years, heat moderately and ventilate well.

There are air handling systems which will extract condensate and return the already warm air to the living compartments (bit like the AC in your car)

I think they are called AAVs in France but may have to stand corrected on that?

I believe for our market  a photo voltaic AAV on battery pack which charges for 5 hrs then runs for 30 mins may be a good system to have when a house is sitting empty for long periods.......any inventors out there? and I claim my 5% international  royalties now!

Probably wouldn't work!

I have now seen this stuff,http://www.enviro-materials.co.uk/products.asp?c=341 and as I have lots of papering skills this looked the part. Then I saw the price, so now i am trying to find a cheaper supplier, has anyone tried this?

I had a problem whilst building/converting the apartment that I now live in, the roof over the living and sleeping areas I did with tole bac acier isolé but the roofing sheets over the kitchen and bathroom area were uninsulated, I hadnt foreseen a problem as I would have a false ceiling underneath with 20cm of laine de verre.

In the summer whilst progressing the build I found masses of condensation was building up under the non insulated roofing and running down in streams, if I had left it like this it would have soaked the insulation and ceilings and rotted the wallplate and trusses.

So I looked into anti-condensation paints and found that all they do is to hold or absorb a certain quantity of water (and hence prevent running and dripping) before it evaporated away, the area had to be well ventilated to do so.

When I saw the price for what was basically a textured paint I nearly fell over and decided to find my own solution by experimentation. What worked best was bituminous car underbodt paint (schutz) applied in a textured finish with a pneumatic schutz gun, it held a huge amount of condensate without it running. It also only cost me £2 per litre

My roof is now coated underneath with it, it has air entry vents and two VMC extraction points and touch wood everything is still dry as a bone there.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Condensation depends largely on the surface of the object, a mirror will have condensation before a matte surface.

In the Atacama desert on the coast sheets of shiny black plastic are hung in order to harvest the dew from the sea mist ( camanchaca) during the night.

[/quote]

What has the Atacama Desert got to do with it ?

We followed a similar path to Chancer using a bitumen paint. More recently we've insulated the metal roof of an outbuilding by fixing sheets of PU foam to the inner surface and so far, it is working fine.

After seeing some very expensive kit for spraying foam insulation to the inside of tiled rooves one of my earlier experiments was to try and modify my pro foam gun to spray the mousse on to the underside of my virtually horizontal tole bac acier.

Twas one of my more spectacular failures!

[quote user="Chancer"]

After seeing some very expensive kit for spraying foam insulation to the inside of tiled rooves one of my earlier experiments was to try and modify my pro foam gun to spray the mousse on to the underside of my virtually horizontal tole bac acier.

Twas one of my more spectacular failures!

[/quote]

Got any pictures [:D][6]