Woodburning stoves / cookers

Manon

We will be having three ovens in the renovated kitchen of our full time French home - one gas, one electric and one woodburning - to cover all eventualities, summer and winter. I have no experience of woodburning cookers and would be very grateful for any advice / pros and cons regarding different makes. I know that some manufacturers will build a combination for you but I think these cost more than the proverbial arm and a leg don't they ? Any comments gratefully received !

We have an Esse WN woodburning range, which we installed a few months ago. It has two ovens and a firebox. There are other models available which heat water, as well as cook. We had to have a new chimney built, as there wasn't one in the kitchen. We also bought a Plus2 accompanying model from the same company, this has two good size propane gas burners, and two electric ovens, plus a grill, so we are prepared for all eventualities. Like the Aga range, these units are available in several colours. They're not particularly cheap, but are British built in Lancashire by a firm which has been in business since 1854, so are well established. There are at least two dealers in France (both English), who can deliver. They will also install, if not too distant. (The ones we know are in Eymet, Dordogne, and Josselin, Brittany). The woodburning part of the cooker is built for purpose, unlike the Rayburn (which has an adapted grate). Our experience so far (after some initial problems) is that the range is brilliant - keeps the kitchen warm, and cooks really well. Wood consumption is quite reasonable, too.

[IMG]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee284/Khazi22/OurEsseWN-1.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

We had a very old Deville when we bought the house, it was very good but we changed it for a Godin cuisinere as we thought it was well past it's sell by date. Re the Godin, excellent for warmth although I've never really got to grips with the oven. Reason being, when we first bought the house we had no insulation whatsoever and the front door didn't fit properly so the weather came in making the house very cold. However since we've been insulated, plasterboarded and had a new front door fitted we find the cuisinere is far too warm and not particularly controllable and are considering changing it in the next couple of years (when we've saved up enough!). Also consider the possibility of both of you being ill at the same time which is what happened to us at the end of last year ie I had a back problem and couldn't get the logs in (or do anything for that matter) and the OH went down for a fortnight with a virus - it was only then that it occurred to us will we want to be bothered/healthy enough to be chopping logs for the cuisinere. So, before we get too much older we are thinking about an Everhot - expensive but a neighbour of mine has an electric Aga and swears by it as it is completely controllable - now we are not in the market for an Aga but if anyone has any info about the Everhot I would be most grateful.

Crumbs - are you a pessimist or a girl guider?

You may have forgotten one or two other essential cooking ovens, a pizza/bread, tandoori and microwave for starters...

I hope you are having the same kitchen replicated in the garden for the summer as it gets to darn hot in the house else.

I'm a realist ! We often get power cuts where we are so the gas alternative to the electric oven is essential and we will want the stove to boost the heating in the very cold winters we get. Actually I'd really like a steam oven as well..........................

Knee Gel.........I would be most interested in your cooking range if you do decide to move it on and it looks like we are near neighbours? Our Rosiere is on its last legs and will be replaced once I have the new concrete floors down (That will take a while!)

Regards,

We have an Everhot on order which I hope will be delivered week beginning 22nd Feb. Can't wait! We visited their place in Glos and were really impressed with the cooker - we are having a 100i ( which includes an induction hotplate) and hope that not only  will add a little heat to our kitchen in winter but will mean I can get rid of the microwave/conventional small oven I use at the moment . We installed a Villager A flat woodburner about 3 years ago which I  use constantly in winter. Fantastic for anything in a saucepan and for keeping food warm but it doesn't have an oven. I love my Villager and hope the Everhot will live up to expectations.

We don't have central heating just the A flat and another Villager in the living room. It's plenty warm enough but you do need to be in good health to keep them both fed!

I find running, fuelling, and de-ashing our two woodburning units very therapeutic, and it really does help you to keep fit if you're getting on in years.  I took a lot of the hard work out of it by purchasing a log-splitter, which has been worth its weight in gold, also a purpose-built bench circular saw for cutting logs (our logs are supplied as 50 cm, which is fine for the Jotul, but the Esse takes logs of a maximum 40 cm, so I whip 10 cm off the ends of the logs - and burn the offcuts as well). Keeps me busy during the winter, and the results of my labours are just heaven

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
We get our wood in the traditional 1 meter lengths, good excuse for a chain saw!!, Theyr'e already split and I tend to cut into 500mm to suit my Godin Cuisiniere and the Godin 'Cantou' Log gobbler in the living room (which will take 700mm logs).

OK so its exercise but better than appearing on 'Fatbusters'. As for cooking, deep winter we run up the Godins 1st the cuisiniere, which stays in overnight, and then, if its extreeeeeemly cold, the log gobbler. but from spring thro' autumn we use the fan oven and gas hob, boss tells me she tends to use the fan oven in the winter too especially if its any clever stuff like a victoria sponge.

The Godins are Basic, tough as old boots and the log gobbler has a two speed fan which allows us to channel hot air to the bedrooms.

Retread wrote, but since disappeared

Ok so we've decided that you are having problems with your electric faux Cuisiniere.

We’ve decided ???

Thats the trouble with design over function.

You are so right just think of all those sous chefs loading wood into those functional cuisinieres in Michelin star restos.

You failed to comment on the link I posted re your favoured revendeur, O.k it's in French, which you seem to be au fait but The point made was that A) Not only was their SAV non existant but that also B) they badge engineered and then failed to supply parts after the origional manufacturer went out of business. Not a company I would chose to recommend.

Could you supply the link ? As far as I am aware I haven't recommended anyone

Wilko

Got Confused because the thread started as a cry for help about wood fired cookers, but it got skewed which is why I offered advice re what I believed was a domestic wood burning cooker. Glad you and yours are happy burning Pine, if youv'e got it use it. Most of the pelleted burners use a lot of pine.

Think you sugested a Franco-Italian brand available thro 'Wanders' But our posts got Mediated, Was your Cooker a 'Chatelain'? if so You should not compare it with a pro Piano see:- http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/forum/fr?f=ustensiles&id=1141828629-28564-1539 For a more balanced view,

If you were seeking a semi pro model to grace a domestic Kitchen then Britannia style E might well suit see here:-

http://www.britannialiving.co.uk/range-cookers/

Sorry back in my day pianos were vast Coal fired animals.