Advice on Planning permissions

brodie19

I would be obliged if anyone can enlighten me as to the best way forward in our situation. We have moved here permanently and this is our primary and only residence. Attached to the house via a blocked up doorway is a derelict terrace area with no roof, although the existing joists are still present and there is a concrete base. The walls are tuffaux block and partly falling down. The area is approximately 50 sq metres. I wish to re-instate this to a conservatory/extra living room using most of the existing materials. I presume I require planning permission. Do I need an architect here in France to draw up a plan of what is essentially there at present. I plan to arrange and do most of the work myself as we are on a budget.

Any advice?

When we had our upstairs done we got an architect to do the plans and the planning request for the marie.  This cost us just under 700€ five years ago.  Thereafter, we used our own builders etc and have done some of the work ourselves also.  Personally, I thought it was money well spent but is probably not strictly necessary for 50 square meters (there is some sort of regulation about the use of architects being necessary for areas of a certain size but I think yours comes under it.)  I'll leave the techie rules and regs stuff to the others!

Thanks for all of that. I thought that the 170 sqare metre rule applied to the total habitable area. Our house is 160 sq metres and the area under discussion is about 50 square metres. I will take a trip to the Mairie though.