Bathroom light fitting

DerekJ

I was looking at new ceiling lights (in a UK light shop) for our bathroom in France.

I was told that in the UK the light must meet a specification for lights near water. Apparently the rule applies if the fitting will be in a 2 foot distance from a water related source.

eg. if a bath edge would fall within a 2 foot radius of a light fitting on the ceiling.

Does anyone know if the same/similar rule applies in France.

Don't misunderstand me...  I'm not looking to put a light fitting immediately adjacent to a water source.  The bathroom sink would be a good 2 metres away, the bath taps around 3 or more metres.

Derek, don't know what the French regs are but in the UK they are as below. I'm pretty certain our electrician fitted a socket adjacent the handbasin to comply with the French regs although the trip has a very low rating that copes with an electric razor.

I would suggest, but don't take it as gospel, that if you follow the UK examples your installation will be safe.

Bathroom Lighting Zones

Explained.

Zone 0 refers to the interior

of a bath or shower tray. Bathroom Lighting in this area must be

suitable for submersion therefore carry a rating of IP67 (Immersion to

1m) or IP68 (Pressurised Immersion). In addition to this rating they

must be a maximum of 12 volts and used in conjunction with a SELV

transformer.

Zone 1 is the area directly

above the bath or shower tray to a height of 2.25m such as the inside of

a shower cubicle. Fittings in this area must be splash proof therefore

carry a minimum rating of IP44. If the fitting is subject to direct

contact with water a higher rating of IP65 (Jet Proof) is required. An

example of this type of light would be shower lights. If 240V shower

lights are used they must be protected by a 30MA RCD.

Zone 2 is any area in the

bathroom within 60cm of the perimeter of the shower cubicle, bath or

sink. Fittings in this area must be splash proof therefore carry a

minimum rating of IP44. As in Zone 1 if water jets are likely to come in

to contact with the fitting (i.e. cleaning purposes) IP65 should be

used. 

Zone 3 refers to all other

areas of the bathroom. Although no specific IP rating is required for

this area many developers and contractors choose to install bathroom

lights with a minimum rating of IP44. Legislation states bathroom

lighting in this area should be fit for purpose in compliance with

BS7671.

The above bathroom lighting zones information

is intended as a guide only. The information is based on the UK I.E.E

Wiring regulations (BS7671: 2001 Section 601) which may be subject to

change

When we had our bathroom suite fitted by our local french plumber he told us that he would have to move the central light fitting as it must be 2 metres distance from the bath. As we have a very small bathroom the light fitting had to go onto one of the walls which was fine by us. I also asked if I could change the light switch for a pull cord but he said that wasn't allowed. Bizarely he then said would we like a socket putting in and we agreed it was a good idea. The socket is on the wall next to the basin!

Chris

Thanks a lot for the inputs.  I'll stick with the  type spec.. playing safe.

The ceiling fitting is one of the DCL fitting with the plug in bulb/or connector. What I want to do is replace the bulb holder/bulb with a proper fitting using the plug in connector.

If your ceiling light is more than 60 cms away from a notional vertical line from the side of the bath then you are in the clear (zone). But the supply to this (and anything else in the bathroom) must be protected by a 30mA Disjoncteur Differential (elcb). Wall-mounted heaters etc mounted in this >60cm zone you will find are double-insulated rather than earthed. Odd but true. As you discovered, ceiling pull cord switches are unheard of over here, and there is nothing to stop you having wall lights above/either side of a washbasin, ditto a socket for as hairdryer etc provided they are in the >60 cm zone.

Most of the Bricos carry DIY books on electrical installations which well illustrate the zones: some even have helpful diagrams above the shelves where you find the plugs and sockets.

p

Thanks again for the replies.  I'll have a measure up when we get back there this coming Sunday. Then I'll be sure what zone will apply.

La Gueriere....One question about the DCL.  Currently, that is exactly what is in the ceiling.... a DCL with a bulb holder and bulb.

My plan has been to remove the bulb holder and use the DCL rose to connect the new light of whatever the required spec via the DCL plugin connector. Are you saying a I can't do that if it falls within zone 2?

Effectively the DCL rose/connector would be covered by the new light.

Thanks. I guess a measure up becomes very important. If it is within  0.6 metres then I suppose I should replace the DCL with something else before fitting the new light.  Exactly what I'll have to research.  I just hope it's further away than 0.6 metres.

A further question...  Does the 0.6 metre rule for DCL apply only to the side of the bath (as per the illustration in the link).  We have a shower cabinet as well but I'm sure that is well over 0.6 metres.  Additionally, there is a washhand basin. Not sure about the distance from that.