Cab we use English plumbing?

cassie

Thanks P.

I have posted also on this site thanks to friendly advice that the other site was not the correct one.

Your link takes me to a French site listing, I think, sale of documents giving various plumbing regulations . This does not answer my question as my French is not yet good enough to understand everyday conversations , never mind technical plumbing terms.

But thanks for taking the trouble to answer......the more advice I can get the better !

If you look at the top of this section, there is a wealth of cogent and hugely informative information in a thread started originally by Opal Fruit, whom sadly, no longer contributes to this forum.

See here:

Personally, unless one had a rather large stock of 15 m.m. copper plumbing tubing, then I wouldn't consider using this.

As you know, I'm sure, apart from microbore and oil feed pipe (in 8,10 and 12 m.m), UK plumbing copper tube comes in mainly three sizes: 15, 22 and 28 m.m.

Unless it is serious pipe fitting work when it can be a tad larger: and a tad more expensive!

French plumbing copper tube, however, increases from 12, to 14, 16 and 22.

French plumbing pipes also "nest" rather nicely.

The wall thickness is also less than the French equivalent.

Surprisingly, all French screwed fittings are BSP (British Standard Pipe)!

French pipe diameters allow careful planning of water flows.

Years back, original French central heating pipe was mild steel: and often one sees this in archaic installations, Believe it or not, this dates back to the French, using redundant musket barrels, left over from the Napoleonic Wars!

Traditionally, French Plombieres, install central heating by brazing, with Oxy-Acetylene, rather than soldering the joints. The brass Filler Rod used is Phosphor-Bronze (Whereas most normal brazing utilise Silicon-Bronze filler rods). One reason for this, is suggested as the higher water pressures.

If you do decide a DIY route, then look carefully at Plastic Pipe and joints.

Far easier!

The biggest problem you may face is emergency situations, burst pipes, joints etc. As Mr Gluesick pointed out the only pipe size in common is 22mm so for 16mm etc you will need to keep a few spare lengths of pipe and a good selection of joints here in France because there is no way you can buy them here in an emergency. The pipe is the biggest problem because nobody (I have tried in the past with a UK spec Mobile home) will send pipe to France and even if they are prepared the price of shipping due to dimensions and how carriers price is prohibitive. Not only that but by the time it got here it would have more kinks than a hair clip thats if it has not been completely flattened or bent double.

I believe boilers have been 'done' before somewhere (try searching the forum with 'English Boilers') and there may be certification problems but to be honest I can't remember. The only saving grace is that taps and other fitting, again as stated by Mr Gluestick, are BSP. To be honest I found taps etc to be cheaper in France, a thermostatic shower control can be bought for just under 20 Euros in Brico Depot (known as B&Q in the UK) where the cheapest I have found on the UK Internet is £69.

There is also a lot of plastic (hot and cold) piping around now, pop in to your nearest Brico Depot and get a catalog.

I have used JG Speedfit ,delivered to France from BES in the uk , for all of the extra/renovation work on my project here in Normandy.

All my ,complete kitchens,radiators,taps,showers,baths,basins,wc sets and all waste/drain pipe have been bought locally in Normandy.

When it comes to electrics and plumbing do it the French way and using the French materials.

I am sure that if you have a flood and try to claim on insurance it might be a bar to a payout.

You will also have peace of mind - if anything goes wrong then you can easily source parts in France. I will admit I sometimes exclaim 'how much'.

Paul