Oil or soild fuel?

crossy67

No.  The boiler is working fine, I am just thinking of ways to make it more efficient.  The roof is in good condition apart from a lower gable end barge board and one half of a valley, easy enough repairs but removing the tiles would make insulating easy and would only take me a week or two and not cost much apart from a few new timbers.  There is no insulation as far as I know.  Oh and yes, the house was very cheep :-)

If you can find the initial cash (and it's a lot) then instead of a wood pellet boiler, get one that runs on woodchips. These use a big silo full of splintered wood, and have an archimedes screw to feed the boiler. The boiler ignites automatically using a electric hot air blower (like a highly concentrated hair dryer).

The advantage is that the fuel is very cheap. Any wood will do, the local farmer chips it up on an attachment on the back of his tractor, and it only takes months rather than years to reach the right degree of dryness.

There are disadvantages other than price: one of these is that it is noisy (the archimedes screw groans like a cow in pain).

[quote user="Cendrillon"]".......................The boiler ignites automatically using a electric hot air blower (like a highly concentrated hair dryer)."

If there's a power-cut does this mean that the stove will not work? Can it be lit manually?[blink]

[/quote]

Cinders, it can't be lit manually and if there's a power-cut the archimedes screw won't work either, so no electricity definitely means no heat. I suspect this is true of quite a lot of the more sophisticated (= expensive) boilers, ie the ones that promise very high thermal efficiency.

[quote user="Quillan"]Where can you buy them at these average Eastern European prices, I mean it's not the sort of thing you will find locally?[/quote]

Quillan

For anyone who wants details on these types of burners or Accumulators to send me a PM or email and I'll be happy to forward on the details.

Andrew

Why a PM or email, its not secret is it? Can you give me contact details of somebody in the South who sells them for these prices please, I am sure others would be interested as well. I would love to see a photo and then go and have a look at one before I buy.

Q:

Last time I checked ('Cos this is the route I am going, eventually in France: Steve Diesel and I have been chuntering over this for about three years), I found prices were ranging upwards to zillions for Swedish and German units.

here are some at the affordable end of the scale.

http://www.ecoangus.co.uk/index.html

http://www.ecologboilers.co.uk/

http://www.enviro-live.com/green-suppliers/renewableenergy/bio-mass/wood-gasification-boilers

It also would appear that Eastern European products are being "Badged" for resale: at twice and upwards the price!

Expensive old badge!

[:'(]