Sound insulation on partition wall

dave21478

I am scratch-building a bathroom in another room, and am doing the separation with rails and plasterboard. What would be the best insulation medium to put in the wall to prevent sounds traveling? I don't want thunderous farting noises echoing through the next room when someone uses the chunty.

There is plenty room to double up the thickness of the partition wall if required.

If you can double up the thickness as opposed to double boarding then there is a way where the montants are back to back but the walls are effectively decoupled acoustically from each other, I am sure that the info is on the British Gypsum website but if not repost and I will didg out my French placo book.

If you really want to create a sound effect free zone so you or your guests can push away to their hearts content without worrying about pooting noises escaping then you need to consider a door with some form of acoustic sealing between it and the frame.

[quote user="just john "]

Use Tileboard not plasterboard on the inside, use  celotex  foam sheets internally, cut to fit spaces in wall, then use 12.5 or better doubleboarded 9.5mm  plasterboard. on external walls.

[/quote]

Can you get Celotex or equivalent here? I used it extensively in the UK but I have not seen it here. Plus...I remember it was expensive and I have about 100m2 of wall to build and insulate

I have never seen Celotex for sale here. I have a load of hydrofuge plasterboard that needs used, so that will be the internal surface which will be tiled over, I reckon.

Chancer, my thoughts were to double up the rails on the partition, but not actually fix the two layers together leaving a small gap to prevent sounds propagating through the frames. This would allow me to fit twice the normal thickness of glass wool insulation in the void, then regular plaster board on the outermost surface. Its not just noise from crapper use, but the falling water in a shower makes a hellish racket too. My sisters house has a poorly insulated bathroom and not only can you tell if the person on the chunty gets enough fibre in their diet, but anyone having a shower causes a thundering waterfall noise in the next room too.

Just been flicking through a Bricoepot catalogue and noticed the plasterboard sheeting with a layer of polystyrene bonded on the back....if I did a normal single partition wall and bonded this stuff on the outside, would that be any better than my own idea? Its a hellish price though - would probably be cheaper with my own idea of doubling the rails.

Celotex is not available in France and in any case a bad sound insulator compared to wool based products (laine de roche & laine de verre).  There are sound deadening foam pads available in Brico depot page 210 and also a foam acoustic in their tile section page 157. The best sound deadening is achieved using two different densities of insulation to further decouple, so using a sandwich effect will work best.

[quote user="La Guerriere"]Look for Lafarge Preglypac dB BA13 accoustic plasterboard or Placo Phonique Renomince.[/quote]

In a bathroom?

[quote user="dave21478"]I am scratch-building a bathroom in another room, and am doing the separation with rails and plasterboard. What would be the best insulation medium to put in the wall to prevent sounds traveling? I don't want thunderous farting noises echoing through the next room when someone uses the chunty.
There is plenty room to double up the thickness of the partition wall if required.

[/quote]

[quote user="just john "] B&Q=sheeps_wool 1 cu metre £77 Celotex-laminated foam 1 cu metre £63.75 usual disclaimers etc.[/quote]

[quote user="Théière"] The houses that I have had to remove rock wool and glass fibre from have not been nice plumped up fibres but usually slightly compressed or slumped due to a combination of damp and natural ageing so although it maybe good insulation when fitted it is unlikely to stay that way. Also from the document below is the fact that the thickness of rock wool or glass fibre are so thick currently 240mm (France) 270mm (UK) and that would need to increase to 400mm (UK) by 2020. The only wool type insulation that can actually perform wet is sheeps wool.

That leaves us with PIR foam or polystyrene in either form although apparently Styrofoam (Dow corning) out performs both and these can be used in reasonable thickness. [/quote]

To quote from a previous thread, Celotex or foam is more cost-effective than sheeps wool for example and doesn't go manky when the bathroom gets flooded etc.

Supply is a problem, but if it's worth getting a pallet with an engine shipped over I'd do the same for the bathroom. In fact I do, having bought a van for the purpose of obtaining the unobtainable, guilty though I feel sometimes that's what the EU is all about. When the spec or price doesn't fit, or I don't want to wait 10 days for them to order it in, I plan materials required and bring them over, the only other comment I'd add is that generally I like my bathroom to be well insulated too, so that it can be heated by just a decent towel rail.[:D]

What I've seen recommended in the past is

A. Double layers of placo each side, with the joins offset

OR

B. Each wall of placo on its own rail system, with the two systems not touching. Might be a problem with rigidity, though - the method was originally designed for use with a wooden stud wall.

In both cases, fill the gap between with insulation.

Cheers

Any suggestions what I can put on existing bathroom walls (not tiled) to muffle the sounds a bit? The downstairs bathroom is currently empty of fittings except for the toilet and is awaiting doing up.

It is a small bathroom, so I don't want to lose too much space by adding thick plasterboard and battens. A better door will probably help a lot.

According to the figures I have, a second layer of 12.5mm placo each side is supposed to cut sound by 7-8 decibels. Not insignificant.

That, plus a better fitting door, should give you best results for least effort/money/intrusion.

Good luck