No more bayonets?

Loiseau

[quote user="idun"]

ps I am not allowed to say 'bulbs' apparently that is what people plant in the garden, so in this house it is lamps.

[/quote]According to the OED, a bulb is anything with a rounded, teardrop shape and the etymology is indeed from the thing you plant in the garden!  But it does reckon that bulb in the case being referred to here is correctly a short from of light bulb (which is certainly the way the things were always referred to in our house.)  A lamp, to me, has always been the thing you put the light bulb in - be it a table lamp, a standard lamp or whatever!  However, the OED defines a lamp as : " a device for giving light consisting of an electric bultb together with its holder and shade or cover."  As I say, it is obviously the  week for pedantry, Idun.[:D]

idun, bulbs are nothing compared to the French ampoules!

Ampoules are light bulbs as well as BLISTERS!

When I was on the Camino last year and a bloke from Burgundy said I needed to do something about my "ampoules", I had a few seconds of worry (before I cottoned on to his meaning) about these light bulbs on my toes and wondered what the devil I could do about them.

[quote user="idun"]

He electrical and just won't have the word 'bulb' in the house for lamps.

I don't care, but I am so used to saying it now that that is what I say too. You can all call them bulbs, I really don't mind. [:)]

[/quote][:)]

Mr C and I both have apoplexy when anybody refers to a railway station as a train station, as we were both in the industry for years.   I think these things are much more irritating if you are an "expert" (I use the word very loosely in my case though.)

Yes, we all have things which niggle.

Sweet17 yes some words have lots of meanings, when we first got to France husband was at work and he was told to do something to something at work. The instructions had the word 'enceinte' on them and as it was a new word for him, he looked it up. All the dictionnary he had said was pregnant. Which was not helpful at all.

His dictionnary would have been more use if it had had the following definitions.

en parlant d'une femme en Ć©tat de grossesse 

Nom fƩminin singulier
 ce qui entoure un espace en le fermant pour en dĆ©fendre l'accĆØs   and this definition would have explained all.
 cet espace lui-mĆŖme ainsi dĆ©fini 
 espace clos (l'enceinte d'un tribunal) 
 haut-parleur d'une chaĆ®ne haute-fidĆ©litĆ© 

[quote user="idun"]

Loiseau, I needed to buy a lamp with a screw fitting and you have me with bayonets on the brain and I brought home a bayonet lamp instead. ...back it will have to go.
ps I am not allowed to say 'bulbs' apparently ....

[/quote]

[:D] [:D]

And take no notice of that Wooly and his bulbs; he's just trying to rile you.

Angela

[quote user="Loiseau"][quote user="idun"]

Loiseau, I needed to buy a lamp with a screw fitting and you have me with bayonets on the brain and I brought home a bayonet lamp instead. ...back it will have to go.
ps I am not allowed to say 'bulbs' apparently ....

[/quote]

[:D] [:D]

And take no notice of that Wooly and his bulbs; he's just trying to rile you.

Angela

[/quote]

[:)]As if Wooly would do that.