Folding shutters

Mac

Is it still possible to buy the folding metal shutters that concertina back. You see them on older houses and we have a couple of windows where we can not open normal shutters fully but I don't like the roller type metal ones.

[quote user="idun"]

lapeyre sell them les volets pliants in wood, metal and upvc. Up to you to make your choice.

[/quote]and jolly nice they are too.  I've always had a yen for metal ones but we chose wood to go with the downstairs ones.  Well made though.[:)]

We had metal ones in our rented appts when we first moved to France. Two things, didn't act as any sort of insulation, as where we lived initially was often as hot as anywhere in France, so the metal just added to the heat in the flat, and they were noisy when the rain hit them.

I used to have them. They were a pain in the neck.

To close them, the French windows had to be wide open resulting in a total heat loss from the room. I had to have new windows so I replaced them with uPVC roll-down shutters.

Since my house is - relatively - modern there was no question of "maintaining character".

[quote user="idun"]

We had metal ones in our rented appts when we first moved to France. Two things, didn't act as any sort of insulation, as where we lived initially was often as hot as anywhere in France, so the metal just added to the heat in the flat, and they were noisy when the rain hit them.

[/quote]

Also, I think that whilst peeling wooden ones can look sort of shabby chic, rusting metal ones look horrible.

Thanks for the advice. As usual so helpful and quick!! Don't know why I don't always come on here first instead of spending half the day trying to find things myself as someone out there has usually already done it !!! Thanks once again.

No you should always look things up yourself and check on anything I say too.

With an open mind you will pick up many other snippets of information, some completely useless, but one day might not be and others you didn't realise you needed to know and all that when you do your own research.

We have the folding metal ones. I endorse the comments about them looking nice when rust-free but are lousy insulators - hot in summer (unless there's a nice breeze flowing through the slats), cold in winter. Also a pain to sand down and repaint.