the Lot region

yvonne

Hi all

We are planning to retire in France in a couple of years time and are the research stage at the moment - - later this year we will be visiting the Lot/Quercy region to get an idea of what this is like - I'm wondering if any of you are currently living there and can advise of the good/bad aspects of the region.

Also we would like to stay somewhere near Cahors in a B&B type of place can anyone reccommend a place to stay ?

finally we are thinking of buying a plot of land and having our own house built - has any one on here done this ?- does it make financial sense ? any info would be most gratefully recieved !

Yvonne

[quote user="yvonne"]

finally we are thinking of buying a plot of land and having our own house built - has any one on here done this ?- does it make financial sense

[/quote]

It certainly seems to make financial sense if thats what you want. A new house was recently built in our hamlet - 2 bedrooms + garage including land - yours for £78,000

We also spent many years looking for the 'right place' and it was a divertion that brought us to our village.   

There were two homes for sale but the one we were interested never answered the phone so we gave up, but about 4 weeks later a friend of a property agent called us out of the blue to look at 2 propertys and the last one was in our favourite village.  The rest is history.

We live in a small village just north of Cahors on the west side of the N20, I think this side is a little more greener with roling country side, than the east.  We have been warmly welcomed and the locals include us in all aspects of village life, we have found our place in heaven. 

Cahors is not the hub of activity/shops or offer the same job opportunitys like Toulouse or Brive, but we were not looking for this.  Do not get me wrong Cahors offers all that we need.

We wanted friendly people, not a english community, roling countryside, peace and quite.   There are many places to visit within an hour and we have not been disappointed.

I wish you luck finding your dream place. 

We also spent many years looking for the 'right place' and it was a divertion that brought us to our village.   

There were two homes for sale but the one we were interested never answered the phone so we gave up, but about 4 weeks later a friend of a property agent called us out of the blue to look at 2 propertys and the last one was in our favourite village.  The rest is history.  It is an old house and it is very expensive to renovate.  It is also just as hard to find artisans.

We live in a small village just north of Cahors on the west side of the N20, I think this side is a little more greener with roling country side, than the east.  We have been warmly welcomed and the locals include us in all aspects of village life, we have found our place in heaven. 

Cahors is not the hub of activity/shops or offer the same job opportunitys like Toulouse or Brive, but we were not looking for this.  Do not get me wrong Cahors offers all that we need.

We wanted friendly French people, not a english community, roling countryside, peace and quite.   There are many places to visit within an hour and we have not been disappointed.

I wish you luck finding your dream place. 

We moved here to N Lot, permanently, in 10/2003. It suits us but I can imagine that there are many who would be unhappy

1. not many English ghettoes nearby

2. winters seem long and wet though not excessively cold

3. the locals are friendly, hospitable etc but pretend that they can neither speak nor understand English

4. if you require regular doses of English cheese, bacon, sausages etc you may have to search long and hard

The sensible thing to do is rent for a longish period to see for yourself. We didn't rent at all but remember to "do as I say not as I do".

Best of luck, whatever you decide.

John

Thanks for your replies - we are not looking for a large English community - in fact we would like to integrate as fully as possible into the local community. I am half French and understand and can speak it fluently - my hubby's French is a work in progress but improving daily !.

We thought that this year we would explore the area around Cahors and next time we're over we would look at places around Pau - we have a couple of years yet before early retirement and will be visiting as often as we can to keep our options open.

We have now booked a B&B - thanks for the help

Yvonne