"Tie Bar" in French

Alan Zoff

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]  ... complete with "S" plates. I assume I can commission these from a local blacksmiths .[/quote]

If you are commissionning the end plates then why keep to the 'S'. Have your own initials.

My grandfather bought his house in the 1920's and did a big 'ravallement' on it at that time. The house was built in the 1860's. It had one of these tie thingy with end plates which he changed to have his wife's initials at one end and his at the other end. It was dead posh and showy to do that in their kind of farming/agricultural background. He died in 1983 and the house got sold in 1992 on his wife's death and no one in the family thought of taking these initials out and replacing it with just a square non descriptive bit of iron ... which is exactly what the buyer did when he carried out his own 'ravallement' and threw away these lovely monograms ...

Sad ...  

hi ok

When I put mine in  they  called them  "  Le Grand Crux "

Dave

Thanks for the comments.

I just tried Googling "le Grand Crux", Dave, but the only relevant hit was your post on here! Perhaps it's a fairly local term. (For some reason, Google thought I must have meant "Grand Cru"....)

But I think I have enough info now to approach a supplier with relative confidence.

Alan

Always seems a pity to me that people seem to lose all sense of imagination when they place plates, crosses, essses, etc on tie bars.

A notable exception is the main tower on the mairie in Narbonne where majestic medieval pikes or halberds adorn the wall.

Indeed the possible existence of tie bars is completely disimulated.