Stove pipe -is this supposed to happen?

confused of chalus

Our beautiful new stove pipe (exposed throughout the ground and first floor) is now in and we had our first fire in the bargain second hand Godin stove last night. All worked well, lots of heat, no smoke leaks.

But this morning my pristine stainless steel pipe is black, then purple then yellow, with a heat bloom.

Is this just what happens and we learn to love it, or does it signal something wrong?

I just know someone out there will be able to answer - you haven't let me down yet!

Kathy

[quote user="confused of chalus"]But this morning my pristine stainless steel pipe is black, then purple then yellow, with a heat bloom.[/quote]

Perfectly normal except you seem to have got the pipe a bit too hot!

Details HERE

If your flue pipe is exposed through the two floors should it not have been insulated double skin?

Same stove too AnOther! Can we use the black heatproof paint on the SS?. No question of replacing it, it's already cost a bomb with all the fittings and pipes - more than the bargain stove!

In case anyone else is worried the room is double height and the pipe double skinned and insulated where it goes through plasterboard and roof.

But thanks again for advice.

I never really considered any other option for mine, and definitely not SS, but it was a bit of a runaround finding the black enamel. From memory it cost me about €300, including the inox insulated section above the register plate, but it is only about 3m long in total.

All DIY of course [;-)]

Thanks Devon. My OH is a bit alarmed that I got very excited at all the different colours - but I'm fairly sure I'll calm down and go for black!

Good to hear that a professional recommends the product. It was so cheap that I was a little concerned. But then I'm conditioned to French paint prices.

Good of you to add this perspective to the thread

I choose gloss black enamelled from stovesonline to compliment the gloss enamelled green of the stove.

It's a 30 degree offset with an inspection window, back to back with another 30 degree offset to allow the fire to stand further away from the wall.

With a straight length up past the register plate under £140 delivered to France. Cleans with a damp cloth

[IMG]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h415/Granddad23/pbupload008.jpg[/IMG]