Painting shutters

bixy

Every few years we paint our shutters and before very long the paint starts to blister and crack and fall off. They are south-facing so you can see the cause of the problem. We would like to make the job last a bit longer this time so would appreciate any advice on a) removing the old paint, b) any treatment needed for the wood before painting c) if there is a special kind of paint that is resistant to extreme exposure to the sun.

Many thanks

Patrick

You can get them 'dipped' although I can't remember the name of the process in France. When I arrived I asked around locally what people used and they all seem to use 'Bondex' which gives high levels of protection against UV (important for us) and lasts for between seven and nine years. Not cheap but then if you work out how much you spend and the time between repaints plus your time it's actually quite cheap. Being naturally lazy I love the stuff, painting shutters is soooooo boring.

We have the same problem & after a bit of delving around we have been told that an oil based paint is best. We are going to try Holkham linseed oil paint which carries a 7 Year (i think) guarantee. It is not cheap but we have been advised that it is very good.

I wonder if anyone has ever actually successfully made a claim against a 7 or whatever year guarantee from a paint manufacturer?

Unless this fairly commonplace what is to stop them what is to stop them from "guaranteeing" their paint for as many years as they wish, or even just calling it longue durée?

I too have used bondex on the recommendation of others but on my South facing timber building in the UK, so more wind and rain than blistering sun although all the previous varnishes I used all blistered from the sun on the South elevations.

Has there ever been any comparitive tests done on lasures or verrni's, something like a "Which" report? I would be interested to know the results and whether I am paying a kings ransom for a so called premium product just because they are good at marketing and the French believe and repeat what they are told.

Anyone got any long term experiences with brands that have outlasted others? Perhaps the Lidl ones?

I used ICI german Zweihorn holzlasur 2000. When we had our house built none of the shutters or hard wood windows were treated.

I have to say that the wood used was probably not the best, but we never replaced any windows or shutters and will still probably last another few years. My front door, which was of quality was like new when we left, but it didn't get as much sun as much as the rest of the house, never the less so was my neighbours, same door and same builder and theirs was looking shabby.

It is very expensive, it goes a long way and it lasts. I do believe in redoing ever three to five years anyway, keep on top of it all and there is less work in the long run, well that is how I see it. And as it is me who does all the painting and varnishing then I think then it really was down to me to chose when I did these jobs.

To answer your questions Theiere, I'm pretty sure the shutters are hardwood. They're quite old with no signs of rot. It is just three pairs of window shutters that we are concerned with. I think we would prefer to paint rather than varnish - the OH prefers pretty colours! Any tips about removing the old paint - deacapant, blow torch?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Patrick

Are you allowed 'pretty colours' ? In our village you were allowed some rather dingy colours a strange blue/battle ship grey sort of colour or varnished wood. In some places you do need to ask what you are allowed to have.

[quote user="bixy"]Every few years we paint our shutters and before very long the paint starts to blister and crack and fall off. They are south-facing so you can see the cause of the problem. We would like to make the job last a bit longer this time so would appreciate any advice on a) removing the old paint, b) any treatment needed for the wood before painting c) if there is a special kind of paint that is resistant to extreme exposure to the sun.

Many thanks

Patrick

[/quote]

Our numerous shutters are south-facing too.

They had not been maintained for years when we bought the house and Mr Clair cleaned them up, sanded down the surface and dusted them before applying some V33 Climat Extrême paint. The paint is thick and covers well in a single coat.

That was in 2005 and there has been no maintenance since, other than a wash once a year to remove the dirt.

See http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2187486/ShowPost.aspx

To reply to Idun about paint colours. We are in a regional park and I believe there are rules about colours, but everyone seems to ignore them. The maire has been to our house and seen our blue shutters and said nothing.

Still hoping for some advice about removing old paint most effectively.

Thanks for replies so far. The V33 paint sounds the thing.

Patrick

We stripped our very old south facing softwood shutters with a hot air gun and shave hook back to bare wood, Thoroughly sanded and repaired with wood filler and applied 1 coat of water based primer and 2 coats of 'Renulac' gloss shutter paint. After 4 years, no sign of blistering or flaking but it has lost the gloss finish.

• 5 months later...

Our wooden shutters have been previously varnished but I'd like to paint them plain white.

Would I have to strip all the varnish off before priming the wood then paint in the required colour?

Shutters are in excellent condition and the varnish isn't too bad either. Just looks a little faded by the sun but it isn't peeling or flaking.

South facing? and in good condition, I think I'd be asking the previous owners what they put on.

Ask at the Mairie about the colour you can paint your shutters and hopefully you'll find a colour that is as good and resilient as the varnish you have.

[quote user="meiklejohn"]

Our wooden shutters have been previously varnished but I'd like to paint them plain white.

Would I have to strip all the varnish off before priming the wood then paint in the required colour?

Shutters are in excellent condition and the varnish isn't too bad either. Just looks a little faded by the sun but it isn't peeling or flaking.

[/quote]

If the varnish is sound just lightly rub it down to provide a good key for the paint.