doorway becomes a window

sid

Second query post in one day!

I want to close off an exterior door in our little "maison des amis" and insert a window instead; it simply doesn't need two exterior doors so close to each other. The opening is has squared limestone blocks, so I don't really want to remove any just to "key in" the new blockwork. I have it in mind to make a blockwork wall on the inner face to be finished with insulation and plasterboard, and on the exterior to build with stone to match the "pierre apparent" of the outside wall.

Two questions:

1. Do I need to tie the blockwork to the existing wall in some way? The wall will only be approx 1m x 1m.

2. Do I need to tell anyone about this, officially?

I did one a few years ago, the door had/has windows at the top, in fact a double door with one narrow piece, I just cut the bottom of at a suitable height, installed parpaings leaving sufficient depth on the outside to do "pierre apparente" in keeping with the facade of the dwelling.

No permis or rubbish like that, all done in a couple of days, of course it is still a door but with a slightly higher one of those what do you call them attached at ground level.

This year I shall be doing the same with a door to a barn, not sure yet whether to put a piece of glass in the upper part of the existing door, I always plan on the hoof depending on what appears at local vide greniers etc and it will remain a door not a window. I dont expect any problems. Do you?[:P]

[quote user="Théière"]Is the current wall insulated and plaster boarded, if so yes to continue would be appropriate, if not don't bother. I would either tooth the new work into the existing or tie the new wall into the existing.[/quote]

Hi Teapot, No the existing interior wall is not plasterboarded, but I thought it would be better this way rather than pierres on both sides. I can't tooth it into the existing without cutting the nice stonework which forms the door opening, so I wondered whether it was necessary to have some sort of rail or bracket to tie the blocks?

PPP I wonder if you're referring to a stable door type of arrangement? If so, I don't want that. I have it in mind just to put a BricoBepot window instead of the existing door.

Thank HSD, I thought there might be some paperwork involved. It's not visible from the road, so I may forget to do that bit!!

Because your existing wall is limestone and low down it will absorb water and expand and contract with the seasons so needs to be able to move. Parpangs by contrast are much harder so wont move as much so cracking around the new/old joints is quite likely also parpangs won't evaporate the water as quickly so could cause some problems.  I would be tempted to continue in limestone even though it is a harder job to build with. I would use lime mortar if you are using parpangs just for the movement aspect.

Insulating a small portion of an uninsulated wall is not worth it and you can create problems as part of the wall is at a different temperature to the part next to it. Better to have it all warm or all cold as moisture wont condense then.  

Be interested to hear how it works out, perhaps even visit as I also live in deux -sèvres and get around a bit in the summer.

Whilst in a traditional french rural house the door will have the full thickness of the wall; however a window has a very much reduced thickness of wall below the window frame. Although the window is in line with the outside wall, the interior exhibits a rectangular bay well forward of the interior face of the main wall. In the door to window conversion I have endeavoured to replicate the general arrangement of the two windows on the front of the house. If you are ever in the Parthenay area and wish to inspect my conversion just PM me.

I am thinking of blocking off my old 'Cave' entrance (Traditional stair down to door) and making the 'section which is above ground level into a window...The small bow toppped window adjacent I was going to drop the cill height to match before installing double glazing to both...Permis required? Wont look much different at all but give me more useable space down below....ahem

PPP, I've seen examples of the type of window opening you're referring to, but ours all have a wall below the window which is the same thickness as the rest of the wall, thus we have a large window board/window sill on which we can't place anything because the windows all open inwards across the space!

Sid

[quote user="BIG MAC"]I am thinking of blocking off my old 'Cave' entrance (Traditional stair down to door) and making the 'section which is above ground level into a window...The small bow toppped window adjacent I was going to drop the cill height to match before installing double glazing to both...Permis required? Wont look much different at all but give me more useable space down below....ahem[/quote]

Now lets do this in stages:[:P]

Stage 1)  If the proposed construction is LESS tha 40 square metres in area then you will not require a Permis de Construire.

P.S With the proviso of the 170 square metres architect rule.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="BIG MAC"]I am thinking of blocking off my old 'Cave' entrance (Traditional stair down to door) and making the 'section which is above ground level into a window...The small bow toppped window adjacent I was going to drop the cill height to match before installing double glazing to both...Permis required? Wont look much different at all but give me more useable space down below....ahem[/quote]

Now lets do this in stages:[:P]

Stage 1)  If the proposed construction is LESS tha 40 square metres in area then you will not require a Permis de Construire.

P.S With the proviso of the 170 square metres architect rule.

[/quote]

Or putting it another way if the construction is 40 square metres or greater a Permis de Construire/Building Permit WILL be required.