Absolute BEST quality compression olive fitting in 16mm?

joidevie

Hi all..

I've recently re plumbed the kitchen & bathroom in 20mm Multicouche, and will soon need to connect it up to an existing 16mm copper pipe. I'll want to fit a stop tap (I mean stop c@ck but the forum software won't allow the word to be used!) at this point as well. The multicouche will end in a chrome 1/2" male..

After the cold spell I was somewhat shocked (but not surprised) to find one of the 'bicone' compression fittings I'd used in 14mm to plug an old outlet had completely split - the 1/2" nut itself had split in half (around the whole circumference), and no the olive which I had heard might happen.

The brass fitting I'd used was a brico shed 14mm raccorde a bicone and looking at it (and a few others I've used) the nut is of quite 'lightweight' brass and feels 'brittle'..

Seeing as I merely need one good fitting to join all the Multicouche to a single 16mm copper pipe (with a stop tap if possible) I am happy look for something superior (or at least the best pro brand) that will give me years of peace of mind.. I am no blow torch expert and have had mixed (mostly inconsistent) results with French hot fittings which I believe need a hotter flame etc..

So ideally I'm looking for a top notch source of a good 16mm compression fitting..

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and a cheap easily replaceable link isn't such a bad thing. If that fitting hadn't gone what else would have? If it gets that cold somethings got to give. I get regular callouts for broken plumbing during the cold weather and very grateful I am too. [:)]

You're not wrong there..

When I returned to the house in the middle of the -8c spell (which is pretty cold for the South!) the bathroom sink had the most enormous icicle running from the tap to the basin where the tap washer had burst, which thankfully let the pressure out of the pipes.. Avoiding more severe problems.

I have since insulated the bathroom, but am still looking for a solution to the pipes that run through one or two out buildings.. Which never went above -4c during that period..

If you want the absolute best fittings you probably need to go to Swagelok - http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?SEARCH=/search/Straights/id-10002045/type-1&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3 - they are somewhat overengineered for domestic use but your tube will burst under pressure before the fitting gives way!

[quote user="andyps"]If you want the absolute best fittings you probably need to go to Swagelok - http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?SEARCH=/search/Straights/id-10002045/type-1&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3 - they are somewhat overengineered for domestic use but your tube will burst under pressure before the fitting gives way![/quote]

Gosh.. Thanks.

Very interesting stuff. Haven't 'registered' to check pricing.. But still looking at the abbreviations and codes for what might be the equivalent to an 'olive joint in 16mm to 1/2 or 3/4 male etc.. Lots of bewildering options?

[quote user="andyps"]If you want the absolute best fittings you probably need to go to Swagelok - http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_products_home.aspx?SEARCH=/search/Straights/id-10002045/type-1&item=20b6dcb5-5a04-42f1-9df7-a5d3fd3672c3 - they are somewhat overengineered for domestic use but your tube will burst under pressure before the fitting gives way![/quote]

hi ok

If you want to go the swagelok route ... you would be far better going   1864  or even ISP fittings

Dave