Kitchen taps with "showers"!

cooperlola

I had one at my last house that pulled out and had a proper shower head on the end. The pull out bit was fine, but I never found a use for a shower head in my kitchen. In this house mine looks a little like this one

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/mitigeur-d-evier-avec-douchette-netsys-chrome-e61060

The pull out bit is handy.

I didn't want one with the curly round wires round the pipes as I am far too lazy to keep it clean all the time, my filled in one just needs a rub over.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Anybody got one of those new-fangled kitchen taps with little rinsing showers built in (that's the only way I can adequately describe them!)?  Any good?  Any problems I should be aware of?

This one's a bit posh but to give you an idea of what I mean:

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/mitigeur-d-evier-avec-douchette-elite-facon-inox-e61013[/quote]

We had one like this in our previous place:

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/mitigeur-d-evier-avec-douchette-touch-chrome-e61045

The fact that when you extend it, it comes out of its socket sideways, somehow made it a bit of a mess to use (also perhaps that it was on the LHS of the sink).

The rubber covering the switch to go between shower and normal mode perished after a couple of years - did not affect the function, just the aesthetics.

We didn't really find the shower function that useful.

In our current place we have a huge, probably very expensive thing that looks like this but without the cross-bar.

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/v3/p/produits/mitigeur-d-evier-avec-douchette-ingenious-chrome-e61031

We both hate it and don't appreciate what it could possibly do for us. It seems pointless.

All good hints and tips - thanks. 

I'm looking for a couple of things:

1. We need to fill containers during the winter to take water to the horses when the outside taps are frozen. At the mo' Mr C walks into our wetroom, takes the shower head off the shower and fills them in there, leaving muddy footprints all over the place.  I'd like to be able to do this in the kitchen so if I could get a tap which would reach out and over the front of the sink that would be great.

2.  I thought the little shower thing would be great for rinsing off food bits before stuff went in the dishwasher.

Popular in restaurants for reasons I cant really fathom. We have one in the washing-up area and its ok I suppose, but nothing I would have in a house. The only use I have is to use it as a high-pressure blast, which tends to splash everywhere which would be a pain at home.

Its great when you catch it with a pot or something and it swings out beyond the sink, giving you an instant "peed your trousers" look.

I didn't find the shower any better than a little rinse with an ordinary tap when rinsing plates.

I've just checked, mine won't pull out far enough to go past the front of my sink, it is fine for both sinks though.

[quote user="idun"]I didn't find the shower any better than a little rinse with an ordinary tap when rinsing plates.[/quote]

Ditto here

[quote user="idun"]I've just checked, mine won't pull out far enough to go past the front of my sink, it is fine for both sinks though.[/quote]

Our current one won't either - and I suspect it would be the same for the one in the piccie in your original post. The one in our previous place would, however. Might you not be better with some heating tape around the outside tap to stop it from freezing?

[quote user="Pickles"]  Might you not be better with some heating tape around the outside tap to stop it from freezing?

[/quote]It's not my tap (dobbins live elsewhere in winter) but it does have padding round it and still freezes - mostly because it's in a very shady spot and never benfits from any solar gain.

Even a good swan-neck will be better as we can at least fit the container in the sink that way. I think the current one really belongs in a basin, it's a truly daft thing for a kitchen - can't wait to see the back of it, you can't even get a bucket in the sink at present - how mad is that?

Keep an eye out at Lidl for the next time they have a "Mitigeur de cuisine avec douchette extractible" I've got one on my Ikea Belfast type sink and I've just checked and it will extend well over the side. They don't cost an arm or a leg either!

[quote user="cooperlola"]Even a good swan-neck will be better as we can at least fit the container in the sink that way. I think the current one really belongs in a basin, it's a truly daft thing for a kitchen - can't wait to see the back of it, you can't even get a bucket in the sink at present - how mad is that?[/quote]

Following on from Antonia's post, at present in Aldi there is the following (UK, sorry)

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_23628.htm

That was the shape of my last one Pickles but with a shower head and the head pulled out.  I couldn't get a bucket under it either, fortunatley I could pull the tap out and put it over the bucket. The swan necks are nice and high.

Belfast sink, my you all must love cleaning. Aren't they the ones with the worksurface lip covering the sink slightly where 'black' gets. At least it does in every one I have seen and that is even with fussy friends.

I'm very simple. Keep lines simple, dead easy to clean and no fiddly bits for me to forget to get at.

Another vote here for the Lidl tap..my brother fitted one in his house in Scotland a few years ago no problems and handy for filling the kettle when there's stuff in the sink...similarly filling a stock pot with water when the bowl is occupied.

With regard to the Dobbins.....why not run a pipe out to the stables and below ground  where it will be less likely to freeze?

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

With regard to the Dobbins.....why not run a pipe out to the stables and below ground  where it will be less likely to freeze?

[/quote]Because, as said above, they are not at my home in the winter so works of any sort are out of the question (bar a bit of lagging!)  What's more, we need warm water to help melt the ice on the trough (some mornings about 6" deep this year!)

Deflate a couple of  footballs (dark colours arguably best)  -- half fill them with cooking oil then pump it up to their correct shape (not too hard) leave floating in the trough half in half out of the water.........horsey will soon figure out all they need to do is push the ball down and water will come up round it. Trough will still need re-plenished though...

I've tried ping pong balls and polystyrene sheets but both froze up - they certainly helped in slight frosts but not bad ones like this year's.  Bit late for this winter but I'll give that a go next. 

I still think the ability to put a container on the ground and fill it from a tap would be excellent. Far better than heaving heavy buckets out of the sink.  I'm going to study some of these taps "in the flesh" as it were, before deciding.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Another vote here for the Lidl tap..my brother fitted one in his house in Scotland a few years ago no problems and handy for filling the kettle when there's stuff in the sink...similarly filling a stock pot with water when the bowl is occupied.

[/quote]

Ditto - we have one like this

http://www.ebao.fr/E_BAO_COMMERCE_WEB/FR/produit.awp?librayon=Cuisine&librubrique=Robinetterie&libcategorie=Mitigeur-douchette&libproduit=Mitigeur-evier-ARES-chrome-avec-douchette-2-jets

very useful and easily pulls out further than the front of the sink.

Also, cheap enough to replace when it wears out (ours is still going strong after 6 years)

[quote user="tinabee"][quote user="BIG MAC"]

[/quote]

Ditto - we have one like this

http://www.ebao.fr/E_BAO_COMMERCE_WEB/FR/produit.awp?librayon=Cuisine&librubrique=Robinetterie&libcategorie=Mitigeur-douchette&libproduit=Mitigeur-evier-ARES-chrome-avec-douchette-2-jets

very useful and easily pulls out further than the front of the sink.

Also, cheap enough to replace when it wears out (ours is still going strong after 6 years)

[/quote]

Haven't checked in the new catalogue, but Brico Depot used to sell those - they were about 30E. I had one in the house back in the UK, and can confirm they have a hose long enough to come over the sink and fill a mop bucket sitting on the floor. The only caveat is that you have to have sufficient space under the sink/against the back of the cupboard to allow the hose to retract in a loop (it has a big lead 'slug' on it to help it fall) Ikea sink bases have a drawer which only goes back 2/3rds of the dept into the unit, to allow for plumbing like this.

The old B&Q one didn't, so it was a fiddle to fit.

p