Cleaning a woodburner - recommended products

Louise

Hi,

Sorry not sure if this is in the right section...

We have a woodburner that I would like to clean. Back in the UK when I had a burner I used to buy some stuff that looked a bit like shoe polish that buffed the woodburner "back to black". I cant seem to find anything similar over here...

Can anyone recommend a product to bring my woodburner back to life..

Thanks

Louise

There used to be a product called Zebo which is what I have used in the past for cleaning iron stuff like log baskets and fire dogs and so on, and when I tried to get some (I had a tube in France but it ran out) to clean the wood burner I couldn't find it anywhere. Then one day we were in a brico near to us and I found a different product, and subsequently discovered that Zebo has been discontinued. There's one called "Hot Spot" and another called "Stovax" available in the UK, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand name of the one I found in France. It might be something like "Zebracier" and comes in a tube. It was about €7-odd.

I use this one by Liberon http://tinyurl.com/liberon which can be found in or near the woodstain and polishes in the bigger DIY stores.

It smells whe the fire is first lit but the blurb says it's non-toxic.

I've seen some of the old tool vendors at vide-greniers (that's vendors of old tools [:$] ) using stuff like this to give a dark sheen to their junk to make it look good.

Use a brush to apply it and wear gloves, the stain will stay on your fingers for days!

I've just done mine using a product called "Renovateur Fonte" by Starwax. Not sure where I got it from - either Leroy merlin or our local Brico-Pro. Says it's wax and graphite, and won't smell, even when hot......

Cheers