Anchor bolts in French brick

Alan Zoff

Our house has rendered twin-brick (no cavity) outer walls. I have to bolt some heavy steel to the interior of one wall and the recommendation is for large coach or anchor bolts into masonry.

I have used these before in the uk into concrete block but I wonder how effective they will be in our French bricks which are very hard but full of holes. Is there some way of making sure the bolts will anchor correctly in these bricks to save having to drill right through the wall and fit a plate on the outside?

The type I have seen for this type of wall require some form of fixing 'glue' to be injected in to the hole prior to inserting the 'plug'. You then wait for the whole thing to dry before screwing in the bolt. The other type I have seen are those that are similar to the ones used in plaster board but a much larger version. No 'plug' involved, drill the hole put in the 'nut' and as you screw in the bolt it compresses the the frame in which the nut is fitted causing it to spread and so forms a metal support either side of the hole. My tip is to visit a good Brico (Leroy Merlin for example), have a look, explain to somebody what you are doing and whats best.

Thanks both. That makes sense. Drill the holes to see what happens to the "honeycomb" brick and then fill the voids before setting the bolts.

I will look out for the chemical paste and fixings at the brico and am in a better position now to know what to ask for.

Not sure if I have the same sort of bricks as you AZ, On the exterior I have those small, fairly soft red bricks which seem to be common all over Northern France.  I mounted a Sat dish using expansion bolts.  I did them up firmly but not swinging on the spanner like a gorilla.  It is very stable and hasn't moved in 8 years or so.  In the bathroom I mounted a new washbasin.  The interior wall is Celcon bricks so I used the chemical anchor system.  I can't for the life of me remeber which one but it was a German make, well-known,  in grey and red packaging.  It was pretty expensive but then I thought 'I'm only going to do this once' and very successful it was too, solid as a rock!