Replacing glass in wood burning stove

Mrs Trellis

The glass in our Jotul stove cracked one day - I think OH put too much highly flammable wood in.  I contacted the supplier/installer who said they would phone when a new piece of glass was available and we could drop the door off for it to be fixed.  That was 3 years ago.  In January I rang the company for a friend who doesn't speak French and I asked again.  'Oh dear, let me check your phone number, I will definitely contact you this time.'

We are about to move the stove to our new house (now it's getting colder) and  I think we'll have to go elsewhere to replace the glass.  I think the stove is more efficient without cracked glass!

A friend suggested EBay UK but the postage would be horrific!  Also, the glass is curved at the top and it might be tricky to cut to fit. Is it difficult to replace stove glass and the surrounding cord?

Replacing with new glass and cord isn't all that difficult. We did this very easily. But it sounds as if yours is an unusual shape (curved at the top) so you probably need to get the replacement from the company that made the stove. Have you got the manual with contact address?

Otherwise for a simple piece of stove glass most DIY firms will cut one to size for you. Ours cost 80€ so it's not cheap.

We have a Jotul wood-burner and I replaced the glass on one door the price was about £80, be aware that the glass is left and right sided as it contains a coating. It is not a difficult job; just make sure that as your glass has been broken for some time you clean out the channels that the fire proof rope sits in otherwise you will not get a perfect seal. Also while you are doing it it's worth changing all the ropes, look at the Jotul web site for the manual for your stove, it will give you the rope sizes. As you suspect the broken glass will diminish the efficiency of the stove as you will be drawing in too much air and the wood will burn quicker.