Removable/temporary fencing

f1steveuk

Well I have been taxing my brain, so I thought I'd try and tax some of yours as well!!!

I have a small enclosure that I need to fence one end of. Three of the sides are well blocked off by bramble, hedges and trees, which also have wire fencing behind. The open run is straight and approx' 40 to 50 feet. Easy enough, but I need to be able to remove it and refit the fence every so often, if not only to make strimming the area easy!!

I can't install regular square sockets to accept removable fence posts (rocks, big big rocks in the ground), and was contemplating putting lorry load ractchet strapss around the trees at each end, and putting metal bars vertically through the wire mesh fence at each end, with 6mm wire running the length of the mesh fencing attached to  them. Them, I could tension the whole run with the ratchets, and bang in a few thin metal uprights to help support it, while up. Then, when I need the thing down, release the tension, roll it up, and bung it in the shed.

Anyone got better ideas/suggestions?

And, if I have got it right, where's the best palce to geet the stuff?

You are going to struggle to get that tight enough with ratchet straps to stay upright over that kind of length.

When I put up fencing, Its sheep fencing so wire mesh with squares about 6 inches to a side, standing a total of about 5ft high. To tension it between the fence posts I anchor one end and then do sections about 30 - 40 feet, pulling it tight with a hand winch like this....

[img]http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys_master/8872749203486.jpg[/img]

hooked onto the tractor or 4x4 and using a steel vertical bar that clamps onto the loose end of the fencing. This can pull it nice and tight allowing me to pin it to the wooden posts for a permanant installation. I would guess that if you used a pair of those (they are pretty cheap online) and can get a vertical support every ten to twelve feet or so it should be ok. The vertical supports can be sections of steel re-bar bought from the diy sheds....easy to grind a point and hammer into most ground types. Farmers use this all the time for electric fencing with plastic isolators to carry the wire.

You are going to need very sturdy trees at either end to anchor it though.

If its to keep animals out - why not use an electric fence? That way there is not too much worry about stringing it tightly. A battery / solar powered spark unit if you are far from mains power, post or isolators to go on re-bar posts and the wire can all be bought from an agricultural supplier. Depends on what you want to keep out/in - cows or horses just need a single wire, sheep will need multiple wires or a mesh.

It just needs to show a boundary, as we get a lot of people coming in (we are down the end of a private road) and turning around, and tearing up whatever we have tried to put there, including vegetables. That's the main reason, but we don't need the fence all the time, so it needs to be able to come down for access for us, for various reasons.

Can you not use the temporary fencing used on sites, the lightweight panels that clip together with like scaffold clamps and the uprights that slot into the concrete bases which are just placed on the ground?

Its the same make here in France as in the UK, Heras fencing, cloture Heras, my pal bought a load of it nearly new for very little money so it doesnt need to cost a fortune.

It will also be readily saleable if you resolve the problem.

Have you tried a prominent notice, backed up by a stinger hidden in the grass?

Of course, you'd have to remember to remove it when you want to go in yourself.

I have a similar problem with the mains lead plugged into my camper to keep the battery charged [8-)]

It's sightly uphill, so it looks easy to pull up the slope and freewheel back down and turnaround. I put a low wall of rocks. Someone drove over them, and then someone stole some of the stones! So I dug it up and put vegetables there, someone drove over them. I parked a car there, someone hit it, only slightly, but still. But it's a useful area for us, so I don't want to fence it off permanately.

The site fencing I fear wouldn't be enough to stop the ardent idiot!!