Engineered wood flooring - French term

SiobhanP

Le plancher d'ingénierie , or parquet en bois contrecollé ... But I'm not sure French terms differentiate too well between engineered and laminate. I'd think that my first offering would be engineered and the secondjust the more general term for laminate.

See here:

http://www.plancherboisfranc.com/plancher-ingenierie.html

I don't know the English terms so I will explain the French terms.

Massif = Solid wood (parquet) usually sold untreated

contrecollé = Top bit is wood but the bottom bit is fibreboard. It comes already treated. You either float it or glue it.

stratifié = Imitation wood flooring which you float.

All loosely refered to as 'Parquet' but parquet is traditionally a solid wood (oak) flooring.

* Don't dismiss 'stratfie' as the top of the range stuff is really nice and more forgiving than wood flooring in terms of scratches. Although, getting a scratch/gorge out of a solid wood floor is quite easy as I have just learnt.

St Maclou is by far the best flooring shop in France.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I St Maclou is by far the best flooring shop in France.[/quote]

Agreed, very large range, the parquet stratifié is usually thicker (and more expensive) than similar designs in the Brico-sheds, find what you like then have a look in Leroy Merlin (the 2nd best) and you may well find very similar but cheaper but do compare the thicknesses.

Thank you very much all three.

I have to say, even though I don't post much on here, I've found this forum invaluable - even just reading other posts is so helpful. People are so generous with their advice.

Many thanks again!