Light switches with built in fuses

Timbo

Hi everyone, been a forum lurker for a while & now my first post - here goes

We have several light switches & plug sockets that have built in fuses. We have a spotlight in our hall way (on wall not ceiling) which we want to change, it’s just got the live & neutral no earth wire, the instructions with the new light we’ve bought says ‘This lamp has an Earth terminal, the earth wire must be connected to the terminal indicated by the symbol’.

The switch for the light has a built in fuse (I’ve taken a photo of the switch but can’t see anywhere where I can upload it).

My question is; Can I use this light fitting as it is or do I need an electrician in to add earth wires , I’ve checked several of the switches & sockets with the built in fuses and none have earth wires. As it’s fused does that mean it’s got a built in earth ?

Hope this all makes sense .

Thanks Tim

Its pretty rare for older wiring to have an earth to the light fittings.

Either just fit the new one without an earth - this is no more or less dangerous that what you have already really, or put in / pay to have put in an earth wire, which will likely mean replastering/repointing and the first thing the electrician would say would be something along the lines of how your fusebox is no longer up to "normes" and needs replaced, which is nigh on a thousand euros just for the parts never mind the fitting, then the rest of the wiring will need re-done too, which will likely mean replastering/repointing all over the house and a five figure bill.

So yeah, just fit the new fitting without an earth.

Dont lick it while standing in a puddle.

Everything he said! love the bit about licking it while in a puddle!

You might be lucky and have earthing to the other sockets, most of those prise commandées only have 2 pin non earthed 6 amp sockets because thats all that the circuit can deliver.

You should check your tableau electrique, if it has 30ma interrupteur differentials then you dont really have anything to worry about.

The €1000 prix publique tableau, yeah they love them also the up to €1300 ttc coffret de communications (its the only onews we fit sir!) well you would wouldn't you!

I have done the electrics on all 6 of my flats, all of them passed Consuel, the 3 row fully equipped tableaux cost €60  each on promo (I grabbed all 6) and for the coffret de comms I use a €7 Debflex flush mount dry lining box with an earth terminal and empty gaines running to it.

Can you lick it standing in a puddle wearing wellington boots ?

If your electrics are outdated, I would be more concerned about the cooker, washing machine and dishwasher. They should all be earthed and each on their own circuit otherwise one day it might be good night Vienna.

As said, the problem will come if you ever choose to sell. I am guessing you bought the house before the days of the Electrics diagnostic.

Re-wiring is not the problem, it is all the redecoration afterwards.

In safety terms, if the circuits are protected by a 30ma ID which all installations since 1989 will be then there is no tangible risk without an earth conductor, if the apparatus has a metal casing which becomes live then an earthed system with ID protection will trip immediately, an unearthed one will trip within 30 seconds of the moron standing in a puddle licking it, he may feel a slight tingle, most peoples nervous systems dont react that fast to even realise, I have had loads of shocks through the years working with electricity, I have developed high sensitivity to it as a survival reflex, I amold school and in the absence of a suitable tester which I trust 100% I will lick a finger tip and swipe a suspected live conductor.

When I have tripped 30ma RCD's/ID's it has always been a complete surprise to me, often it happens even when I have isolated a circuit when there is residual capacitance and I touch the neutral and earths at the same time.

The diagnostique may show non conformités with current normes but the seller and buyer are under no obligation to create a new installation out of one conforming to the normes en vigueur when it was created, buyers might try it on, I would tell them that if they want a new house they should buy a new one.

Without the Normes demanding things like ID's Darwin would have done away with you a long time ago ALBOF.

Glad that you have proved my theory and lived to tell the tale, I was too chicken to put it to the test.

I have done dumber things and its been pure luck that has allowed me to learn from them.

“As said, the problem will come if you ever choose to sell. I am guessing you bought the house before the days of the Electrics diagnostic.”

Thanks alittlebitfrench -

We bought the house in 2015.

But a Big Thank You to all the prompt replies, very informative indeed.

Having read carefully the original posting perhaps its not une prise commandée? If the spotlight is wired directly to the switch I doubt that any diagnostiqueur would ever pick up the lack of earth connection, if it has a 2 pin socket then it wont have an earth terminal and would not be reported.

I Wonder if said switch is an UK switched fused spur? [I]