Power Tool Suppliers

Dougall

Hi All.

The Minister for War and myself are looking to move to France from Australia when we retire in a couple of years so I am beginning my research.

I have a large shed in which I have accumulated a large range of power tools. Am trying to decide if it is worth bringing them all with me and changing the electrical plugs (most of the tools are old or of the cheaper variety) or having a garage sale and buying all new ones when we get to France.

We will be moving onto an equestrian property and I like to do most of the work myself (maintenance and improvements) as well as working on cars/trucks, some woodworking and some light engineering as hobbies.

Could someone please list for me the more reputable tool supply stores so that I can research prices on line to help with my decision. I would also be interested in the names of industrial tool suppliers for things like metal lathes, milling machines, etc. as well as engineering supplies.

The Chairman of the Board has family in England so may be better buying from there but I prefer to buy locally.

We are looking at the Normandy/Brittany/Loire area.

Cheers

Doug

Husband bought a lot of power tools when we were in France - no room for them here but that's another story.
He says he researched online and as Thiere says bought mostly from UK. Cheaper even with transport/postage.
That might mean you need to have bank accounts in both countries?

Thanks for the replies.

Are there any restrictions, such as tax, if I drove a car and trailer to UK (to visit relatives) and filled them up with new tools and machinery and took them back to France?

I would imagine that they would frown on that so wondering what they would slug in tax, etc.?

If you want to get some idea of power tool replacement costs you could browse these websites to start with:

A few in France: Castorama, Leroy Merlin, Manutan BricoDepot and a few in the UK: Screwfix, Axminster, B&Q (diy.com), The Tool Shop.

I'm sure someone will add some others.

Other options for cheap power tools are Lidl and Aldi. These low cost supermarkets have some power tools available on a job lot basis - it's here next week but once they are sold there will be no others for months or even ever.

These are not professional quality tools like Axminster but are very much cheaper and I know tradespeople who will happily use them until they break and then either send them back under guarantee or just ditch them if out of the (usually 3 year) guarantee.

If you look at aldi.fr or lidl.fr over a number of weeks for their offers you will start to get an idea of how it works and what they cost. There has been some debate on who the real manufacturers of some of the tools are and some prestigious names have been mentioned - but they are branded under the stores' own brand labels

I brought a few standard power tools, hammer drill, cordless drill, angle grinder, circular saw etc with me and have bought others locally when I’ve seen them on offer or in Lidl. Earlier this year, after hearing of the bargains to be had in the UK, I did look at Screwfix but even with their free postage their prices were eye watering. If you go to the U.K. to stock up on power tools you will still have to change the plugs.

Professional quality kit,(Makita, Dewalt etc) is eye wateringly expensive in France. You can on average, add at least 30% to the cost of UK prices. From my experience it’s generally only used by “professionals “ over here, I would think that they can make a claim on their tax return to cover the costs.

As has been suggested previously, the likes of Axminster in the UK are an excellent source for quality tools and machines for all budgets, I’ve had some pretty substantial machines delivered by them as well as power tools.

Of course, the elephant in the room at the moment is Brexit and the effect it may have on imported goods from the UK.