Woodburner necessitates annual decoration

Bonnie

Unfortunately, the Mairie wasn't much help.   She suggested I go back to the original company who fitted it but they are hardly likely to admit that it was fitted incorrectly, are they?   I've had this problem probably right from the start, but because I'm not decorating every year, the problem builds up and seems worse every year.

She ended up giving me the name of a local company that does heating, plumbing, all sorts and told me to enquire for depannage.   This is a possibility but I'm not convinced that they are the right sort of expert I'm looking for.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, poor you!  At my mairie, the secretary would have asked one of the conjoints who is always there and the maire himself and she would probably ring up a couple of people that she knows and tell me who is recommended by others.  I forget that not all mairies are the same.....sorry!

Still, I suppose there is no harm in putting it to the installer and emphasising your fears to them.  Say you don't want a health problem from the fire and, with your sweetest smile on your face, say also that you are sure they would equally not want any noxious fumes that could harm you.  Would they at least come back and have a look and GIVE YOU THEIR EXPERT ADVICE?  They love it when you ask for their advice!

It's worth a try; nothing ventured, etc.

Hello Mint,   I dislike the guy intensely!!  There's a bit above the inside of the fire like false ceiling - is this called a baffle plate?   This freely comes out as it collects soot from the liner further up.  It was fitted back to front and during my first fire, it came crashing down!!   I took photos, went to the company and demanded action.   They were around the next day and immediately knew what had happened.   As I had not paid the full amount, I wanted to wait another week and therefore another 7 fires to see that it was working correctly but this guy just blew up at my suggestion.   His face turned a funny kind of purple, swelled up enormously and he started spitting in my face!   His side kick took a back step and also looked astounded at his boss' temper.

I had no alternative but to pay the cheque.   So you see, I really do not want to go back there - with any luck he may have passed the business over to his son in the interim.............   However, it's their fire and their fitting so it should really be my first choice.

If there’s soot collecting on the tolle it does sound as though your problem should be easy to discover and sort out. With a liner fitted no soot should be outside the tubing.

I really don’t think you can expect to go back to the installers 10 years after they did the work claiming that they didn’t do it properly.

Bonnie wrote : Now have an appt for 8.30 next Thursday - an Invicta man.

Better luck this time around.

You really do need to get this sorted out properly before the cold weather arrives as your fire doesn't sound at all right. We don't get soot anywhere we shouldn't in our installation.

I had a RDV for yesterday morning but things happened rather quickly last Monday.  The rep phoned and said he'd be here in 30 mins.

Again, lots of sketches on how it was built in, then he asked to trace the chimney breast up thru' the roof space.   I took him up but then hit my head, fell and thumped my back!   I was fine for a while and we agreed to meet back at his shop the next morning with someone who could explain more fully in English what he thought.   Unfortunately, my condition worsened and I couldn't get there.

However, by Weds, I thought I would drop into his shop and make another RDV.   He's usually out on the road so I was surprised to see him there.

He took me into the back of his shop and showed me some insulation.   This was his answer........... simply to block up the side vents!!!    I was astounded at this suggestion as in the winter, these extra vents chuck out a lot of heat which is valuable........... but I could see his point.   This would not explain, though, why the stonework is still smoke-stained from the vent about the glass door.  I've just discovered how to post photos..........

The stonework was built around the fire..........

Present situation.........

I had already cleaned last year before these photos were taken last week...........   Difficult to see the dirt runs in the second photo where I had tried to wash the wall.  Didn't realise how greasy smoke is but washing up detergent didn't help.   If it's too strong, rinsing takes forever.

In the meantime, I wrote to Invicta UK and asked them to help me liaise.  Someone called Pricillia responded so I explained the situation and copied the above photos.   I have not heard back from her.

So, blocking up the vents may be one answer (which I don't want to do) but this doesn't explain the extra staining above the fire - I think the rep doesn't want to have to dismantle but there must be a way of testing for toxic fumes - the silent killer?

As usual, comments would be very much appreciated.   Photos do help!

I think you should find someone else to look at the problem. I know lots of people in France with air vents, and they have NO problems at all.

What if all this smoke seeps out elsewhere, shouldn't be there in the first place, should it, or have I not understood a thing???? which is possible[8-)]

Thus far the problem seems to be either one of seals and sealant or that the beast was put together wrongly. Whichever, taping ove the hot air vents is not an answer.

The whole thing probably needs to be taken apart and reinserted by a reliable professional.

Silly questions spring to mind: are you sure that the stainless steel pipe goes right up to the top and that someone did not just put in a couple of metres and cheat you?

Secondly, is the beast attached to the chimney pipe properly and are the sections correctly inserted into each other?

Thirdly, is there piping leading to the hot air ducts from the boiler or is it just recovered heat?

Just a few questions to ask, maybe?

Woolybanana, I totally agree with you.   If the vents are taped over then the smoke will just find another way out and could be worse.

I can see the SS tube proud of the chimney.   If I could post photos then a lot will become clear.

I have absolutely no idea if it's all connected properly and this cannot be known unless it is all taken apart - something Invicta seems reluctant to do.   I've just removed one of the vents and taken a photo.   There is definitely piping joined to the vents - all very dirty.

This really sounds more and more dangerous to me, this simply should not be happening.

As I said, we had problems with our first chimney and it all had to be taken apart and redone. we were absolutley skint at the time, but bit the bullet, as peace of mind becomes 'priceless'.....

Burn something that gives off a lot of smoke in the woodburner and see what happens to the smoke. If it all disappears up through the flue and out where you can see the top extending above the house all should be well. If any at all comes through your heating vents you have a leak in the system.

To be on the safe side get a CO alarm, they are similar to smoke alarms and will cost less than about €20. They usually allow you to see how many ppm of CO is in the air you breathe.

Idun,

I cannot understand why Invicta aren't being more helpful!   If I am complaining about possible toxic fumes and obvious dirt coming in, then they should be here taking it apart now, before I even start a fire this year.   If it costs me money, then I will have no choice - as you say.

BritinBretagne,

I've had plenty of smoky fires but have never noticed it in the room.   I'm wondering if I could use a jostick and try to smell it - I can turn on the fans manually to simulate a real fire.   Now......, where did I put them?    I've already taken the precaution of buying CO alarms.

Woolybanana,

I have the chimney swept every year but I have this problem consistently.   I think the sweep would have removed any nest or other obstruction.

Theire,

Now, that would be helpful.   I'm now due for the sweep to come so I'll see if I can explain all this to him - in the absence of any further help from Invicta.   Incidentally, I didn't hear again from Priscillia who was supposed to be liaising for me.   Also Theire, how do you get insurance cover if you sweep yourself?

Hi Bonnie,

I spoke to my insurers, they are happy for me to sweep my own chimney and I just make a note of the date for the record. There have been a number of posters on lots of forums who incorrectly state "it's the law" you have to sweep a minimum of once per year, more if you use it more often.

Of course if swept properly there is very little chance of a chimney fire.

Hi Theiere,

This is very interesting.   I'm with Macif so I suppose I, and many others, could do the same?  I'm a pensioner so getting it done twice a year is something I am avoiding as I believe I am paying Paris prices - €64 (didn't go up last year).