taxation in france re C.R.D.S.

chirpy

i am to be taxed in france but find it very complex.latest question is whether before i get my pension is their a deduction in U.K. for CRDS(remboursement de la dette sociale).if so I do not fill in TL in 2042 declaration for 2003.Newcastle social office tell me that every person has a contribution from UK to France of 2500 per year towards E121 reciprocal health costs.Is this the same asCRDS?

LAST EDITED ON 12-Mar-04 AT 05:15 PM (GMT)

I cannot answer your specific question, butI am interested in your comment that the UK pays 2500 annually as a contribution towards the E121. Can you tell me where you found this information please?
For a long time, I have been querying the legality of the French tax authorities charging UK pensioners 10% each year against income for the CRDS, CSG and Prelevemnt Sociale. The following is a recent reply which I received from the British Embassy in Paris, when I raised the query with them.

"We understand the position to be as follows: Any British citizen who retires to France and who is in receipt of a UK pension (because they have fully contributed to the UK social security system throughout their working life) does not have to pay French social security contibutions because of the agreements in place, on this matter, between member countries of the European Economic area."

So you will see that your observation about the 2500, if substantiated, will go a long way to helping the argument.

mjc asked where i got info.this was via tel.call to00441912187777 Social Security benefits agency.I do not mind contributing to this tax system but if it is not necessary why pay it.It was my Tresoir impot office who asked me whether any deduction was made from my pension.I like many others have paid all my taxes -never claimed any benefits all my working life but now on fixed pension have to seek any justifiable benefits

Hello ab,

My understanding, and personal experience, is that if you are in receipt of a UK government pension then the UK retains the right to tax this income and it is not subject to CSG or CRDS in France. Private pensions are another matter and professional advice should be sought.

Peter Owen
[email protected]