Pensions - UK or France

Laine

I have just received a pre-retirement forecast from the UK and am wondering if it would be financially better to take the years from the French system instead. I have worked in France (self-employed) for 11 years and I understand it is possible to 'transfer' years from one country to another. In other words am I likely to get a better pension from France or the U.K., does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Laine

You should contact the CRAM, the french pensions and see how much they would pay you.

The maximum french state pension is 1176 per month. And you would only get that on your 11 years perhaps? if you had earned the threshold or above it during all those 11 years? and during the last part of your working life where ever you worked it????? Not an easy calculation here I'm afraid and only the CRAM could tell you.

We too are self-employed in France (building) and each year we get a visit to the house from AVA re:upping our cotisations each month to provide a decent pension when we retire. As we understand it,we have to make up for the years not worked in France which means paying out now whilst we are earning.I do know teachers here who pay double in their last ten working years to compensate for early retirement etc. As TU says, the CRAM will give you some sort of forecast so you are forewarned.