Taxe d'habitation et fonciere

Lizfjr

Firstly, it is the previous owner who was responsible for the bills for this year. The bill is the sole responsibility of the person who owns/is in the property on the 1st of January. And then they get sent out around this time of year. So in theory next autumn should have these bills falling on your mat. If they don't then I would contact the Tax Office, Hotel des Impôts in the capital of your dept.

You may have actually signed to pay partially for these bills from the date you moved in. This however, is between you and the previous owners and not the tax office. If you didn't sign then you are under no obligation to contribute towards these bills. Check with your notaire.

so are the taxes paid in advance for the next year or for the year in which they are received?  We also have bought this year but as the poperty is new I don't know if we should have received the bill already but they haven't processed the form (in which case I need to chase) or whether we wont get a bill until next year. 

thanks

Cecil

You hadn't said it was new, if it is classed as a new build then your habitation will be for the year 2005 and you will receive the bill next autumn.

We didn't pay the fonciere for a couple of years after we had this house built, but that was a long long time ago, it could still be the same, but you would have to check. Your notaire, as was pointed out will have/should have sent all your details onto the authorities. If you want to know how much it will be though, ring the tax office and ask when it will be due and how much.

I remember that we also paid an espace verte one off local tax payment that was fairly hefty, so not having the fonciere to pay eased the pain somewhat. 

Does anyone know how the taxe d'hab is worked out? 

Is it a percentage of your income or what?

The taxes  fonce and  habitation are just like the old rates system in the UK. They calculate a notional rental value for the property and then apply a charge based on that notional figure. In fact, being France its many many different pots, which taken together can add up to a sizeable amount. I almost expected to find a specific charge to pay for the food for the Mairie's cat!

The bigger, more modern, the more facilities the property has the higher the value will be. So swimming pools, second bathrooms all weigh heavily in the computation and are bad news!

We have just received the computation for our new place

I bought on July 12 this year. So, am I right in thinking that I do not have to pay this year's taxe fonciere?

And, does anyone know what the change in taxes is likely to be if 6 bedrooms are changed to 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms? Up? or down?

Also do they distinguish between salle de bain and salle d'eau?

Coral - soon to be in the Ariege

Hello BJSLIV,

The taxe foncières is certainly related to the house itself, but isn't the taxe d'hab calculated "en fonction de votre salaire"?

At least, that's what French people tell me, but nobody seems to know much more than that.

When I asked what the two taxes were for the house we're buying, madame l'agent immobilier told us the foncières one, but made it quite clear that to tell us the taxe d'hab would be akin to telling us the vendors' incomes.  Oops!

As was said I've only ever heard that these bills have some notional value given to them associated with possible rent.

I have never heard that the salary affects either of them, although family circumstances do affect the taxe d'hab, as number of residents and dependants are mentoined and allowances seem to be made for them.

Editing: I've just looked at our Taxe d'Hab bills. The first line says Valeur locative brute and then the next line instead of brute it says moyenne.

We have lost 1 personne a charge and are down to one now, which seems to have bumped our bill up by 50euros between 2002 and 2003, so obviously family circumstances do affect this bill.

Thanks for advice so far but  just to get it straight about my original question ...

The bills that are going out about this time of year relate to the year Jan 04 - Dec 04. That means that unless I've signed to the contrary (which I didn't), the vendor, who I bought from in July 04, and was in the property on 1st Jan is responsible for the taxe. So when do they have to pay this bill?

Liz

Yes, a quick search suggests that both taxes are based on the rental value of the property, with taxe d'hab depending on how many people are occupying the property.  I wonder why the agent immobilier didn't want me to ask about the new house then?

A q-and-a site had this to say about a taxe d'hab that had increased without warning:

The calculation of the taxe d'habitation is quite complex, but one of the elements is whether the place you are living is your primary residence. If it is, the tax is 20% less than for a secondary residence.

The dates for payment that I've read are 15th October for fonciere and 15th November for d'habitation.

I'm confused with how this sytem would work effectively if the vendor leaves the country or even dies after selling at the beginning of the year, do the authorities forward the bill, does it get passed on to the relatives or does the new owner pick up the tab? It seems a long time after Jan (date of occupancy) to when the bills get sent out.  In any other country one would pay in advance!!

Thanks for the help at least I don't need to worry about these bills for another year

Cecil