paying for it!

hoverfrog

ISTR reading that there is a maximum amount that one can transfer to a french bank account without a) penalty and b) it being delayed due to money laundering investigations.

I've tried searching the forums, but always get a 'timed out' from the server

We need to transfer the remainder of our house purchase money before we sign the acte de vente, so I was wondering if it would be easier to tranfer it to our franch bank account (potentially in chunks) and do an 'internal transfer' from there, or straight to the notaire's account...

hoverfrog (soon to be 'hoveur-grenouille'

Whenever we've transferred funds from the UK to France it's been using TTC Moneycorp as the intermediary to make the exchange from Sterling to Euros and then to transfer onwards to our French CA bank account.  We've have transferred a sum of over £100,000 in this way and had no problems or delays. 

Perhaps it's because we used an intermediary (better exchange rates) rather than a traditional bank in the UK. 

Richard

I think you might find that the size of transfer that may spark a money laundering investigation is far less than 100,000. The authorities will take a number of facts into account before choosing to launch an investigation - not least the parties involved and whether the tranaction is a "normal" one.

Whilst I also have transferred large amounts between my own accounts in different banks without problems I would recommend that you pay the money directly to the notaire. This must be a fairly common transaction for the notaire if not for you. Also your bank presumably knows the source of the funds - therefore nothing to raise the suspicion of the authorities.

Hagar

thanks for all the replies.

Looks like we'll be OK as the amount is a lot less than 100,000 £ or €!

Sounds reasonable to transfer straight to the notaire too - the only thing that worries me is getting it there before the signing of the acte de vente, but that shouldn't be too difficult (famous last words!)

Hi Mary, its Karen here. We paid the notaire directly when we bought ours it seemed easiest. Every time we have transfered lumps of cash accross we have been asked why we are doing it and they have always just accepted the reason given. Hope all is going well for you and that we will see you once you are moved in and settled xxx

Hi Karen!

I've come to the conclusion that it would be easier to move the money only once, straight to the notaire.

Seems to be going according to plan so far - we're at the scary bit now, like handing in our notice at work!

Looking forward to seeing you again - and Lottie would like Tess to come over too!

It seems that if your money is transferred through the normal banking system, then there are no great problems. Only question was from my (CAg) bank on the transfer of our house money etc., to my current a/c, they asked for a 'justificatif', I gave them a copy of our solicitors bill, as that was the only real evidence of having sold up! other largeish transfers no questions. (Although one does not know what goes on behind the scenes....any conspiracy theorists out there!)

MikeW